SOLVED Appearance and fonts changed all of the sudden

Reaction score
Text fonts and appearance changed all of the sudden …

The problem arose when I started downloading photos from my IXUS 70 Canon device ( never had any problem with this ... if this is the reason of the problem ? ).

The screen became 2/3 with 2 black strokes on de sides.

After a restart of the computer, the font and appearance of the text had changed . Everything became bigger. The bookmark bar could not show all the shortcuts. The task bar can’t shows all the shortcuts. Two arrows allow me now to chose which part of the bar I like to see etc…

It all lookes like the old ancient windows 95 …

How can I get back to the previous settings ? How can I change the text font ? There are many suggestion on the Internet but I don't want to create a bigger problem then I already have.
Thanks in advance.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Any chance you have a restore point you could use?

In your search bar you could type create a restore point to open the dialog where you can either create or use an existing restore point [ which would need to be dated before you tried transferring files ].

If you can correct the settings that way then you could try again to transfer files and fingers crossed it was a one time glitch.

Reaction score
Another idea, have you checked your Display Resolution? Your description suggests it got changed from had been previously set to something like 1024x768 where the adapter and monitor supports larger numbers such as 1440x900 which would affect the text, icons and filling of the screen.

The System Restore is a good idea but I've seen systems where that, by default, is not always turned on.

Reaction score
@Regedit32

In my mind I was convinced that “Restore point “ was ON, but it wasn’t. I am pretty sure this is something that happened as a result of a Win 10 update. Just like all the other unknown changes that happen after an update ( screensavers disappeared or stopped etc…).

So, no solution there…

I do have an image backup from August ( time is running like hell)…

@Bighorn

Yes, I checked the Display Resolution; is set , as recommended, on 1024 x 768
I assume that the fact that my laptop is an old one ( Dell Inspiron 1750; installed Ram 4 GB; 64 bit operation system; Pentium Dual Core CPU T 4400 2.20GHz) has to do with some problems ( example :Bluetooth disappeared in Win 10 ; no driver available)

Can I go in to the Registry to set up the default settings ? Some suggestions on the Internet indicated that, in this case, this is a risky and uncertain thing to do (?)
Or is there a simple way to change the font of the text? (for a good understanding, if I wasn't clear about that : the black stripes on the both sides of the screen disappeared after the Restart. )

Reaction score
I also had an old Notebook/Laptop that couldn't run Win10, a Dell Latitude D810, but only because there were no drivers for the display/video adapter from either Intel or Windows Update Catalog. Not much can be done in that case except stay with Win7 until no longer supported in a couple of years.

Reaction score
I have to say, my laptop works pretty well when I accept the limits of his abilities. In fact, Win7 became a problem by working very slowly.
This being said, I also don’t like to be defeated by the system …so the battle goes on :)

I found a system restore point but it isn’t clear to me if it can be useful.
System Properties ►System Protection ►System Restore after a “ Scan for affected Items” I got this :
upload_2017-11-25_19-38-29.png

My impression is that only the items in the Description are going to be changed ? Right or wrong ?

Reaction score
continuation...

I found this view in the Registry . This is an indication that the font is O.K. and something else is changed in the screen appearance. Or do I miss something ?

upload_2017-11-26_15-26-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-26_15-25-31.png
    upload_2017-11-26_15-25-31.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,065
Reaction score
Windows 10 update changed my resolution to the recommended 1024 x 768 and because my monitor Acer E1900HQ requires larger numbers ie 1366 x 768 (max) this is a real problem.
Display settings now only offer 1024 x 768 (recommended) or 800 x 600 which is worse.

I have already twice restored my system to the only restore point available on 20 Nov 17 and this works. My display settings now have multiple resolution settings available and everything appears normal. However 10 minutes after the restore I again receive a black screen for a few seconds and the display settings are now gone and only the 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600 remain.

I have checked all drivers all updates and windows problem solver.

I have gone through every possible fix I can come up with every turning of the remote access before the restore to try to prevent the change happening after but no joy.

Can you help?

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I must be doing something wrong, the changes won't take effect or hold after reboot. Registry returns to 1024 x 768. Have changed permissions but may need to do more.
Command option need help to be sure.
upload_2017-11-28_8-58-0.png

Reaction score
@Mystrina,

As far as I can tell, I don’t have anything in the actions I did for my problem, that can help you to solve your problem. However if there is something in the nearly future I come across I’ll let you know.
In each case, if I were you, I would start a new post for this/your problem. As you can see , this post/my post is almost at dead end ( no reactions anymore - your problem will get lost). With a new post, you will have more change to find a solution
Possibly you can ask the Moderator to put your “pieces “ from this post, in a new post. ( Contact = bottom right)

Success !

Reaction score
To whom it may concern about the last facts : ( I've marked this tread before as Solved, only to close the tread; there was till now no solution...)
Today, all of the sudden, the problem disappear and all the screens returned back to normal.
There is no other explanation then there must have been an update to put things wright on a " global" scale.
This conclusion is based on the fact that in the settings under "resolution" , now I have 9 possible choices ; in the past only 3 , always has been !

Last edited:

Ask a Question