SOLVED How to enable 22KHz for sound in Realtek High Def Audio

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an oldish laptop from the Vista days and I installed Windows 10 Pro and all is working well except for the audio output from the laptop speakers they have crackling/distortion so I installed Windows XP Pro and tested the sound because I remembered the sound was good before hand and it works well and I looked at the sound settings and they are at 16bit 22KHz in XP but the lowest I can use in Win 10 is 16bit 44100KHz, if I increase the KHz in Win 10 it gets worse so is there a way to reduce the sound to 22KHz as that option is not there in Win 10. The laptop I have is a BenQ Joybook A53 and the driver im using is from Realtek High Definition Audio for both XP and 10, the laptop is to old to have actual Win 10 drivers from the BenQ support site but I think the drivers Win 10 installed are good and working well so I doubt its a driver problem.

Reaction score
Hi Gabriel,

try Start Menu > Windows System > Control Panel > Sound > Speakers Properties > Advanced > Default Format and check what levels you have available!. :)

sound advanced settings.JPG

Reaction score
Thats exactly what I have already tried Wolfie and there is no option to go lower than 44100 Hz is there a program hack like an ini file or something to get it to go to 22 KHz (22000Hz)

Reaction score
HI Gabriel,

have you tried System Settings > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > Audio/sound device > right click > Update driver?: :)

device manager sound.JPG

Reaction score
No I haven't but now I have given up and installed Windows XP and im using it as an emulator Laptop, thanks though Wolfie.

Reaction score
HI Gabriel,

can you please mark this thread as solved. Thanks and good luck with XP. :):):)

Ask a Question