HP Photosmart 5520 series error message 0x8024200b

Reaction score
Since installing Windows 10, I have been unable to scan documents from my printer to my PC. It appears to relate to an error message "Hewlett Packard - Imaging - Null Print - HP Photosmart5520 series - Error 0x8024200b". I do not have a problem with printing documents/spreadsheets from my PC.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to try.....
Removing the printer
Removing any associated drivers and software packages
Downloading the latest full feature driver package
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...l-in-One-Printer-series/5157533/model/5157535
And installing that similarly to when you first purchased the printer, which generally means disconnecting the printer from your computer when you first start the install and connecting it when prompted.

NOTE: That 5520 series, has any number of distinct models so make sure you get the appropriate driver for your respective model.
HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer
HP Photosmart 5521 e-All-in-One Printer
HP Photosmart 5522 e-All-in-One Printer
HP Photosmart 5524 e-All-in-One Printer
HP Photosmart 5525 e-All-in-One Printer

Reaction score
This is interesting. I have an HP 7520 attached wirelessly. About the time of Insider build 10130, W10 found the printer and could print to it and scan. Windows update then started sending that Null print message above also with a Null Fax message with a different error code.
I installed the official HP printer software, the latest of which does not mention W10 but did work fine on 8.1 in the same machine. These bad updates kept arriving and failing and the printer and scanner worked...all the way through Build 10240. I de installed the printer and they stopped. Updated to 10523 and they are back again.
On my 2nd Insider machine it started happening so I de installed the printer completely including deleting any HP software via control panel. I.e exactly what Trouble suggests above.
W10 still found the printer and it worked, with no bad updates all the way through 10526 although W10 every so often puts up a dialog saying that the printer functions are not complete as MS has only loaded basic drivers and to install from the original CD.

I updated my main PC to production W10 and as far as I can see the full HP software and drivers are still there but I do not get these bad updates.

I think that these updates are bad and are left over from W8...the updates seem to be from 2009 and that MS should get rid of them.

Ask a Question