SOLVED Icons are gone!

Reaction score
I finally talked to MS advance tech support. She logged in to my computer and worked for about an hour with no luck. She was about to do a reboot of the whole computer when she decided to try setting up a new user account and that worked. She said that my user account had been corrupted. I had done this before with my old computer never thought I would have to do it with something this new. It's almost like starting all over again but my old user profile is still there to access files. I guess I can call this one solved, sort of.

One question, how much memory/computer resources does having two user profiles use? Enough to brother deleting the old one?

Reaction score
Just adds to complexity and confusion.
If you are satisfied that it has no further use, remove it

Reaction score
I agree with Dave, if you are satisfied with everything, please mark the thread as solved. :)

Reaction score
Click on the settings and favourites import & export function, save the file to a USB stick or wherever you want, then import the file once done!. :)

Reaction score
Not happy with the new user profile. Everything too different compared to my original first setup. Is there any disadvantage to doing a complete reset and start all over again?
I have most thing on a thumb drive I want to keep.

Reaction score
Hi,

did you do a reset of re-install?, just want to know so it helps others, thanks. :)

Reaction score
I finally fixed my original problem of my icons missing. Wasn't happy with the new user add to windows 10 by MS advance tech service even though icons were there. Today I went into register and changed icon spacing, restarted and there they were. Going to remove the second user profile, now I'm a happy camper.

Reaction score
Bought a Lenova IdeaCentre 3-07IMB05 Desktop just before Christmas. love it, so much faster than my old Gateway windows 7. Not liking Windows 10 so much but getting use to it.
Turned it on one morning and my icons were spaced far apart and on the top. Tried a number on normal things to move them but nothing worked. Click and drag them and they would go right back where they were. Turned on the next morning icons are gone and nowhere to be found. Just had a call from a Windows Tech guy I couldn't understand or hear him very will and when I asked him to repeat something line went dead. Lenova support doesn't seem to know any more than I do. Had me do a restore with no luck. Any ideas?
place 2 fingers on either side of the touch pad or screen if you have touch screen and move them together, you might be zoomed in too close, my sister did that and made me crazy fixing it. Another option I don't have much hope for is, hold down the windows key and the ctrl key while tapping the left arrow. You might be on a virtual desktop that has no icons.

Reaction score
I finally fixed my original problem of my icons missing. Wasn't happy with the new user add to windows 10 by MS advance tech service even though icons were there. Today I went into register and changed icon spacing, restarted and there they were. Going to remove the second user profile, now I'm a happy camper.
LOL don't you hate when that happens. I had a guy bring me his laptop because it would start to boot and then reboot and it did this a few times and he panicked. I turn it on and see the problem, which wasn't a problem, he had installed the new windows 10 version and it does that to set things up, it reboot a few times in the restart. Not for the timid. So I let it finish and then did the cleanup and other updates just to give him something for his money and I'm bored.
A friend of mine picked up her desktop and 3 days later she finally set it up, turned it on and it wouldn't boot, so she calls me. I told her, relax, we got this, reach over the top of the unit and feel for the cord, right next to that is a switch, flip the switch. LOL it booted. She flipped it off when loading in her car and I remembered seeing her hand there and wondering. I knew a guy who shipped a customers desktop to Richmond Va from Raleigh, she had the same issue and he drove to Richmond to fix it, only to find out it was switched off.

Reaction score
Bought a Lenova IdeaCentre 3-07IMB05 Desktop just before Christmas. love it, so much faster than my old Gateway windows 7. Not liking Windows 10 so much but getting use to it.
Turned it on one morning and my icons were spaced far apart and on the top. Tried a number on normal things to move them but nothing worked. Click and drag them and they would go right back where they were. Turned on the next morning icons are gone and nowhere to be found. Just had a call from a Windows Tech guy I couldn't understand or hear him very will and when I asked him to repeat something line went dead. Lenova support doesn't seem to know any more than I do. Had me do a restore with no luck. Any ideas?

Try holding down the control key and then roll your mouse to resize the screen. I did the same thing by accident when my palm rolled the touchpad changing the size of my ICONS and moved them all around. It was an easy fix I just happened upon. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I just switched on my desktop and found my desktop totally changed. Saw that a feature update had run overnight. Fortunately I keep full system backups so will move back to one 8 days old.

Reaction score
I would create a new user and see if he has all the desktop icons and menus. I think your user profile is corrupt. The new user needs to be set up as if it was your account. If this solves your problem, you can make it an admin and delete your old user account.

Reaction score
I would create a new user and see if he has all the desktop icons and menus. I think your user profile is corrupt. The new user needs to be set up as if it was your account. If this solves your problem, you can make it an admin and delete your old user account.
That happened in post #22.

Reaction score
What I did when seeing icon spacing gone bad:

Attachments

• Icon Spacing.jpg
    Icon Spacing.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 108
Reaction score
It might be something simple: Right Click desktop to display a panel containing View - Sort By - Refresh - etc.
Hover over View to display Large Icons - Medium Icons - Small Icons - Auto arrange icons - Align Icons to grid - Show Desktop Icons.
There should be a DOT beside <Medium Icons> and there should be a TICK MARK beside Show Desktop Icons. If nothing is selected, nothing will be displayed.

Ask a Question