SOLVED Inquiring Minds Want To Know?

Reaction score
It appears there are two ISO versions of the Windows 10 Pro English version.
One download via the media creation tool is 3.10GB in size.

The other download via: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
is a 3.802GB in size

Anyone know the difference? Does the 3.802GB size contain updates?
Since it's from TechBench webpage would that be the difference?
It does state on the page the following:
"Windows 10 editions below are valid for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional."

Inquiring minds want to know... :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't see any Pro version at all in that link.

In my OP, I posted the following:
It does state on the page the following:
"Windows 10 editions below are valid for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional."

I believe that the software detect what version a user is previously using based on their MS account, plus if someone buys a key, the key would be the signifier of the licensed version... I believe. I could be wrong though.

I do know that Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 all used the key as the deciding factor of the which version was installed.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yes...I did 2....I'll explain!!!

I was using build 10162 ISO as a clean install then did all the upgrades to the RTM 10240 release where it removed the water mark. This left the windows.old folder of roughly 18 GB. It was running so good I didn't want to dork it up.

Well that didn't last long, me that is, wanting to try the clean install that MS said we would be allowed to do. There was no definitive answer as to how this was going to be done. So I downloaded the media creation tool, download the ISO and created a bootable USB thumb drive using Rufus and I took the plunge...I dove in head first into sallow waters....lol.

That went well until I was prompted for the product key....so I left it blank and the process continued. It did it's thing...you don't get the option to do a custom install. It just install over top with a quick format (I'm guessing). After all said and done...I booted up and checked the C drive.....no windows.old folder and all my personal files and software was gone. To be expected and nothing of value on it anyway so no worries there. I ran that for a week with no problems.

Now I've done a 2nd clean install...this time using my retail 10 key with same ISO that I created before with rufus. Key was accepted and all is working flawlessly. The only difference I see between the to is that this clean install feels a bit peeper/faster then the Preview clean install with no key. It could be me and just some wishful thinking but I swear it's faster with the retail key clean install and doing a proper custom install with a real format.

Reaction score
I'm gonna do a clean install this weekend with the 10240 build RTM and see how it goes.

I may purchase a key down the road though.

Ask a Question