SOLVED It's about time

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

I'll be the first to admit that I do not understand all the politics that are likely involved in this, but....
From a purely practical technology standpoint it would seem to me that a reliance on a potential global, strategic enemy as a source for any technology, especially critical communication technology is just asking for your critical infrastructure to be compromised.
As far as I'm concerned that should also extend across the board from hardware to software.

I'm no isolationist hawk and appreciate the critical need for global trade but I also realize that everyone's cyber-security is threatened 24 x 7, we spy... they spy... hell everyone does it, even in some instances on strategic partners, never mind enemies.
Providing a platform of opportunity is just stupid.

As the old Russian proverb says
“Doveryai, no proveryai.” (Trust, but verify)

Reaction score
I don 't see why the USA and China have to be adversaries. Russia is basically broke, the EU is not a world player and the British Empire disappeared decades ago. The middle east is just a set of useless small theocracies. India is a oeaceful democracy.

USA and China for all their different political systems should be able to run the world between them in a nearly friendly fashion.

Reaction score
Our differences in political view of slavery is enough not to be friendly. If we are not going to support slavery (might be a strong word but essentially it is true) within our own border. Continuing to trade with a country that does makes us hypocrites.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I didn't want this to devolve into politics, but.....
Even though one might point out some shortcomings in our own human rights issues here in the U.S.
I think most of us might agree that China has some serious issues with human rights abuse.
Not to mention their predisposition for outright theft of legally protected / copyright / trademarked material and we could throw in monetary / financial manipulation.

I'll just say that it boils down to a matter of trust
AND
I don't
JUST
Like I don't trust the CEO of Kaspersky when he swears he has no association with the Kremlin or Russian Intelligence services, despite evidence to the contrary.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with the Govt decision, but, the resident leader, if he commanded the order, has quite a few problems with security with the outside world. Possibly in many cases justified, but rather forthright and clumsy.
I would be really interested if all such programs were thoroughly examined for possible background spying. As Wolfie Jokes, MS would come out rather badly

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Huawei is a hardware manufacturer, although their firmware that makes their hardware work could be considered software I suppose.

Reaction score
Any Anti virus program, gives almost unlimited access to do as it wishes with your computer. Avast was reported, a couple of years back, and at about the same time as Kaspersky, as suspicious, by the Israeli Government. Now, it can be accidentally installed as an add-on to the very popular Ccleaner. This combination would allow the entire contents of a computer to be examined by a third party.

Reaction score
In an article of a German PC website it said that Google has revoked the license for HUAWEI to use android software.

HUAWEI's statement:
"Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android's key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry.

Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products covering those have been sold or still in stock globally.

We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally."

Source: Winfuture.de

Even Microsoft is thinking about revoking Licenses for HUAWEI's Hardware.

If that all goes through, it will have devastating consequences for all Software and hardware manufacturers, and that includes Apple as well and the prices for computer and mobile devices will skyrocket...

Reaction score
What? approximately 20% market share! I don't think it will be all that devastating. The others can likely step it up and fill the gap.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the prices for computer and mobile devices will skyrocket
Sort of like a few months back when GPUs doubled or even tripled in price because of a bunch of mining of crypto currency and the market took advantage of all consumers everywhere??.

At some point there will have to be some means of inspecting the underlying code (from firmware to drivers to Operating System.
Some international body sort of like The IAEA does for nukes.
IF you expect a neighboring country to use your products within their critical cyberspace then you're gonna have to allow them a peek under the hood.