Low Memory Alerts in Win 10

Reaction score
Don't use the HP Support Assistant. I've been getting notices from HP about the security of it being compromised. They fix it & it's compromised again.

Stay away from all HP bloatware & their inkjet printers. All inkjet printers are junk, they sell at a loss & make profits on supplies. My HP Laserjet is 20 years old & still works with an HP network adapter.

Reaction score
Comp Cmndo Certainly have to agree with you on printers I have an HP Laser Jet P1102w, 10 years, not one problem. Still on the same original print cartridge with no deterioration in print quality.

Reaction score
... I keep getting low memory alerts telling me to save my work as my browser (Firefox) has to be closed. I have 4gb's on my desktop and, on checking as well as running the memory diagnostic tool, the system says I have plenty of memory and there's no problem. I've tried other browsers and have the same problem but I also notice that Firefox and the new Creators Update seem to be "clashing" for some reason...

Has anyone else got this problem or does someone know of a fix please because it's driving me crazy troubleshooting. I've sent away for a new 4gb RAM to boost my system to 8gb's but I have a feeling that it won't be a cure :rolleyes:

"Low Memory" alerts are normally because you've run out of (or about to run out of) total virtual storage. Virtual storage is the total of your real memory (you said you had 4GB), PLUS the amount of virtual memory (provided by the paging file, sometimes called the swap file). For example, if you have 4GB of real memory and NO virtual memory, then the total virtual storage available for your use is 4GB. (Doesn't take too many programs -- or open tabs in a browser-- to use up that memory and cause a "Low Memory" alert.)

Simple answer: either increase the size of your swap file or get more real memory. The following article is pretty good about explaining all this: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2864547/manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows.html

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question