Low Memory Alerts in Win 10

Reaction score
I used to absolutely love Win 10 but since this Creator's Update I've had nothing but trouble of one variety or another :(:(:( Now, for the last few weeks I keep getting low memory alerts telling me to save my work as my browser (Firefox) has to be closed. I have 4gb's on my desktop and, on checking as well as running the memory diagnostic tool, the system says I have plenty of memory and there's no problem. I've tried other browsers and have the same problem but I also notice that Firefox and the new Creators Update seem to be "clashing" for some reason...........might be my imagination but.....

Has anyone else got this problem or does someone know of a fix please because it's driving me crazy troubleshooting. I've sent away for a new 4gb RAM to boost my system to 8gb's but I have a feeling that it won't be a cure :rolleyes:

Reaction score
All my Desktops, Notebooks and Tablets running Win10 are on Version 1709 Build 16299.19, not having any trouble. I am working on a Notebook for our church with Version 1703 that is giving be a message about not being to verify the Product Key, says it is not in the Firmware. I do have the Win7 Pro Product on the COA sticker and another key that ShowKeyPlus can display, may need to a clean install instead of the Upgrade to Version 1709.

I have the latest Firefox on Win7, Win10, Linux Mint and MacBook macOS Sierra without much trouble. I do use the Memory Restart add-on as some of the things I download can cause it to have an issue but clicking the icon on the Taskbar will close and restart the program, worst part of it is just having to restart the downloads, usually involve YouTube videos and music videos if downloading more than a couple at the same time

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Bighorn but a clean install is the absolute last thing on my To-Do-List, I get a headache just thinking about all the bother they are..............although, sometimes, a necessary evil. I updated to Pro from Win 10 Home the other week hoping that would work but to no avail.

At the moment though, I've updated the Java software that someone suggested in another thread on the Forum and, fingers crossed, so far all systems seem to be going alright....I'll keep you posted ;)

What is a Memory Restart app, by the way,? I've not heard of it before, would it be worthwhile my installing it do you think??

Cheers

Reaction score
The Memory Restart add-on for Firefox helps me as I do a lot of downloads that can over time load up the memory so the MR closes then opens Firefox to get a fresh start, just a handier way than closing Firefox and hoping the pages reopen properly. And it doesn't cost anything and is adjustable in it settings as to how much memory to allocate before getting a warning. I have 16GB on my main computer and depending upon the age/limits most others have 4GB or 8GB with a couple at 6GB. Most of the computers are what I have rehabbed from what I was given, mostly HDD failures but a couple drops that needed a new screen. The latest is one with a bad keyboard that another "tech" worked on and he lost a couple of critical screws then gave up on it but it does work fine with the new keyboard, not bad for a $25USD part and an hour of my labor.

Reaction score
The Memory Restart add-on for Firefox helps me as I do a lot of downloads that can over time load up the memory so the MR closes then opens Firefox to get a fresh start, just a handier way than closing Firefox and hoping the pages reopen properly. And it doesn't cost anything and is adjustable in it settings as to how much memory to allocate before getting a warning. I have 16GB on my main computer and depending upon the age/limits most others have 4GB or 8GB with a couple at 6GB. Most of the computers are what I have rehabbed from what I was given, mostly HDD failures but a couple drops that needed a new screen. The latest is one with a bad keyboard that another "tech" worked on and he lost a couple of critical screws then gave up on it but it does work fine with the new keyboard, not bad for a $25USD part and an hour of my labor.
Well I added Free Memory, Free Memory Button and RAMback which all have fantastic reviews although, even though they are showing in my Add-Ons Manager as being enabled, the only one I can find is the RAMback and I can't see how to open it to get to any options..................beats me big time, god knows where they are, the system must have gobbled them up some how :eek::eek:

On the good side though, that Java update seems to be doing the trick, I can always hope anyway :)

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie

What exactly are 3rd party apps, is that programs?? Sorry for being a pain in the @@@@ :rolleyes:

Cheers

Reaction score
That sounds really scary Wolfie, I've got so many programs installed and most have been installed online, Win 10 Pro and Office 365 included as well as Acrobat DC Pro, I wouldn't know where to begin re-installing a lot of them (except for the 3 I've mentioned). I think I might try a Clean Boot first, it looks safer, put the new RAM in then if it's still acting up I'm going to catch a plane up there (I'm an Aussie), park myself outside Bill Gates house and protest :mad::mad::mad:

If you happen to come across any other fixes in the meantime, I'll be really happy to hear about them, sorry for taking up so much of your time and thanks for all your help :D:D

Reaction score
How much free disk space do you have on C: ?

I wonder if the combination of only 4Gb RAM and perhaps a lack of space is part of the problem.

Windows 10 will certainly tun in 4GB but it runs better with a bit more headroom so your order of another 4Gb may help a lot.

Reaction score
Hi Janet,

running the reset function won't wipe your drive as long as you don't click on that button, just click on "Keep my files" and you'll be okay!.

I would first do a full system AntiVirus scan beforehand as you may have caught a bug with all the apps you installed?. ;)

Reaction score
How much free disk space do you have on C: ?

I wonder if the combination of only 4Gb RAM and perhaps a lack of space is part of the problem.

Windows 10 will certainly tun in 4GB but it runs better with a bit more headroom so your order of another 4Gb may help a lot.
Hi Tim

Thank you so much for your reply, according to File Explorer I have 333 GB of 465 GB left which is a lot isn't it? That's why I don't understand these low memory warnings

Cheers

Reaction score
Hi Janet,

running the reset function won't wipe your drive as long as you don't click on that button, just click on "Keep my files" and you'll be okay!.

I would first do a full system AntiVirus scan beforehand as you may have caught a bug with all the apps you installed?. ;)
Hi Tim

I did a full system AntiVirus scan with Norton in Safe Mode, as recommended by Windows, the night before last and it didn't pick up anything drastic. Then I did a full system with SuperAntiSpyware, although not in safe mode, and that picked up a lot more but still nothing drastic so I'm still none the wiser.

If you're sure that a reset won't wipe everything I'll give it a go but I'll do a full system backup first I think. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice, it's very much appreciated :)

Cheers

Reaction score
You have plenty of disk space. When your other 4Gb memory arrives you will have lots of memory.
I would suggest that you should not run two anti-virus programs. In fact Windows Defender which comes with Windows if good enough nowadays to be your only anti-virus.

Reaction score
I ran Norton as well as SuperAntiSpyware for years without a problem then, before this Creator's Update, someone else advised me about just using Defender so I deleted both the other programs, even though there was still heaps of subscription time left one them, and went with just Defender.

It went well for a while then I started getting all sorts of bugs and viruses plus the new update was installed and my whole system started going ballistic, this memory issue is just the latest in the list. So I disabled Defender and put Norton back on, which fixed the bugs and viruses but now it's the memory that's playing up, I only put the SuperAntiSpyware back on to do the full system scan to see if there was any malware lurking around than Norton hadn't picked up on. And I'm still only running one program which is Norton, so that's not the issue.

I've just attached a screen shot of my Task Manager just now and you can see for yourself how much memory Firefox is using and the other browsers are almost as bad, I'm also running a backup so ignore that program, do you have any ideas or suggestions on why it's running so high? I've got a feeling that the extra 4gb , when I put it on, won't fix the problem only hide it for awhile and I'm at my wit's end trying to think of fixes.

Cheers
:D

Attachments

• Task Manager 04.11.2017.JPG
    Task Manager 04.11.2017.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 560
Reaction score
HI Janet,

if I were you; I would back-up all my files and do a complete fresh install of W10 using the latest version. If your AV apps are finding bugs left, right and centre, it would be wise (imo) to start with a new version wiping all other data from the drive!. I also agree with Tim that Windows Defender is a good choice for an AV program, Norton (their server was hacked several years ago!) in my mind is one of the worst AV apps one could choose even though you say it has served you well!. ;)

Reaction score

I've just attached a screen shot of my Task Manager just now and you can see for yourself how much memory Firefox is using and the other browsers are almost as bad, I'm also running a backup so ignore that program, do you have any ideas or suggestions on why it's running so high? I've got a feeling that the extra 4gb , when I put it on, won't fix the problem only hide it for awhile and I'm at my wit's end trying to think of fixes...
That's normal memory usage for Firefox & all browsers.
Usually those low memory errors are bogus. I've seen them in the past but not recently.
You're right, the previous CU was better than this FCU. Many had problems with the CU, too.
I would get rid of everything Norton, it's been a resource hog for years. Same goes for most of the printer software.

Reaction score
Thanks Comp but if I get rid of Norton what else do I use as I definitely don't trust Defender after all the bugs that got in and the only printer software is HP that comes with the printer and makes it run.

What I'm wondering now is all these Host Processes for Windows that are running in the background, what the hell do they do and it's one of them that's giving me the low memory messages.

Any ideas

Reaction score
Thanks Comp but if I get rid of Norton what else do I use as I definitely don't trust Defender after all the bugs that got in and the only printer software is HP that comes with the printer and makes it run.

What I'm wondering now is all these Host Processes for Windows that are running in the background, what the hell do they do and it's one of them that's giving me the low memory messages.

Any ideas
The Windows 10 Defender is nothing like the Windows 7 one. They used the same name but it's a different product. It actually does work well. I don't know what "bugs" got in yours.

I knew you likely had HP; it's the worst. All you need is the driver, but probably not even that with Windows 10 which has most of the driver's built-in. Uninstall it & let Windows find the driver. If it's an All-in-One, you might need the scanner software but maybe not. If you must reinstall it, only select the items you need to make it function.

The Service Host Processes are all Microsoft. Most are very small, <2MB. You need to look for the big ones. Since you already ordered the RAM module, 8GB is plenty.

Reaction score
I won't be ever purchasing anotrher HP product again especially after this printer dies. They used to be great years ago but now they keep trying to force people to buy their products i.e. colour cartridges etc which are much more expensive, I get mine for half the price now so I'm happy for the time being.

How do I disable or delete the driver on the printer? I've never had to do that before but it makes sense to use a Windows driver and I'd prefer that. What printer brand do you recommend, if you don't mind me asking, I've been leaning towards Epsom or Brother when I have to get a new one/

Cheers

Ask a Question