SOLVED MS Boat Anchor

Reaction score
MS have done it again. Sometime over the past few weeks it appears that my HP LaserJet P1102w printer is no longer supported by Windows 10. I tried everything possible to reinstall it. This particular model is WiFi / USB compatible and normally it's a plug and play self install. I've tried everything, even tried using the HP Install CD, still unsuccessful. When I attempt to install I receive a Red Warning Alert.
An Admin has blocked you from running an application.
Program Name SISetup.exe
Publisher not trusted.
File Origin CD/DVD drive
Program location G:/ SISetup.exe
Computer troubleshooter Incompatible program detected.

If anyone any ideas it would be really appreciated. It does show in Devices and Printers but I'm unable to select it as default printer. MS Print to PDF is the default now.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

Possibly a recent update has changed Policies in one of the .adml files on your computer. That, or your User account does not belong to the Administrative group.

You ought to be able to install your program using Built-in Administrator though:
  • Right-click on Start > then select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When UAC confirmation pops up click Yes
  • At the command prompt type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    net user administrator /active:yes

Press Enter key to execute command then type exit and press Enter to close command window.

• Next left-click on Start then:
  1. Left-click Account name
  2. Left-click Administrator

Sample image:

bia.png

• Next sign in as Administrator

Note: The password will be either your pin or alphanumeric password you use for your normal account

Also note: It will take a moment to setup as it loads Desktop. This is normal.

• Now install your printer with the setup file
  • When done left-click on Start > then left-click on Administrator account > select Sign out
  • Next sign in using Normal account
  • Right-click on Start > select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When UAC window pops up click Yes
  • At the command prompt type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    net user administrator /active:no

Press Enter key to execute command then type Exit and press Enter to close command window.

That ought to leave you with a functioning printer again which you can set as your default printer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit Thank You, Thank You.
Yes some changes were made last week that changed some device settings on my main desktop and Laptop. In the main, My HP Printer and MS Office 2010 were effected. I did managed to to set my default printer (WiFi) on the Laptop after I posted. Poroblem was due to the fact that the WiFi settings were set to metered. I performed as you suggested on the desktop and the self install went perfectly when add printer was selected.
I don't know how to thank you for your wisdom, next time we meet I'll buy you a COORS LOL
Again the great support on this forum is second to non.

Cheers!
Norton

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Norton.

I was wondering what settings may have been changed and was guessing maybe the Network adml file has had a policy change. Anyway, it seems you discovered the change and sorted it. That will be handy to know for others who may experience the same trouble.

Regards,

Regedit

ps: Now the printer is working you can print me a thank you card :p