MSFT should make updates selectable

Reaction score
Under Win7 we had the choice to install a Kb or SP. Each new "Feature" update to Win10 comes with a new set of problems. April is a classic case. It took over 12 hrs to download and install, only to discover drivers for audio and video were incompatible. I rolled back to 1709 but next thing I knew April presented itself again. I deleted wuauserv but now I am not getting Defender updates and no way to remove the downloaded unwanted April update. If I restart my PC for any reason April will install again.

Reaction score
When incompatible drivers are installed, just use Device Manager to reinstall the old ones. Select "Update driver", "Browse my computer...", then "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".

Ben

Reaction score
When incompatible drivers are installed, just use Device Manager to reinstall the old ones. Select "Update driver", "Browse my computer...", then "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".

Ben
Thanks, Ben, but I did go to the Device Mgr... but I only tried to Update drivers from online sources. Guess I should have chosen ""Browse my computer...". I will try this next time. I kinda thought if the new Feature Update was installed, that I couldn't roll back the drivers at that point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Now I have a new issue: I re-booted my PC today and checked to see if "April" auto installed. It didn't... I am still showing 1709, however when I check Windows Update and Security, there is nothing there but a blank page. I think I need to reinstall wuauserve. Should I? It would be nice to know if "April" will still install incompatible audio/video drivers.

Ask a Question