Administrator updated by MSFT; then I deleted it

Reaction score
Here goes: When downloading an app from the Microsoft store for my 84 y/o father's computer, I had to create an account. I did it with my own credentials; he refuses all new sign-ups. When rebooting, I found I had to enter MY email address and password as Administrator on the computer (let's call me "Child") in order to get in, rather than flying thru the signon as the original "Dad". Why did they do that??? Switch the laptop admin because of a Microsoft account??

I tried to create a new "Dad" user and make him Administrator. "Dad" wasn't allowed, so I made a "Pops" user instead. I made him administrator, and deleted "Child", the one with using email (deleted, but "saved my files"). BIG mistake.

I've lost everything he needs - the favorites, saved emails, docs, downloads, etc. I know it's still there, but how do I access it? I suspect the default Administrator "Dad" became "Child" with the Microsoft account, and then I wiped it out and don't know how to get it back. Is it possible, or do I need to restore? (He had performed an update to Windows 10 just before I messed things up.)

If I try to restore, does it ask me for a restore date? I find I'm clicking things that might seem helpful, but I'm not getting a confirmation/explanation before the system jumps into action. (Seriously - confirm for me that the next click will cause an update, because I might be thinking it's going to ask for additional detail.)

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will be particularly helpful, but....
Generally, when you delete a user and choose to "keep files", it will generate a folder on the desktop of the user account that you were using when you deleted the user, containing the files for the deleted user.
Have you checked for that folder? Does it contain any of the missing files that you're trying to find?

Reaction score
Thank you! I found user files for "Dad", the one Microsoft hijacked, but not one in my own name, which was strange but I'm ok with that. Also discovered the hijack was my own doing, as it suggested adding a password to the "device", and I hadn't read it thoroughly. It meant the laptop device, not the Fitbit device I wanted to connect to.

I had trouble getting into user "Dad", so I copied the user files into user "Pops", but with a few more tweaks was able to resolve that and get his Favorites back, but without the stored user names and passwords. I suspect that's a result of the MSFT upgrade and the new browser but didn't dig into it.

Ask a Question