SOLVED Hidden administrator password not changed, but existing one not accepted.

Reaction score
I previously posted about my 3G USB modem & the errorID-734. While busy trying various settings, I frequently have to sign out of my account and sign in as Administrator (the "net user administrator /active:yes" route). I still did this yesterday with the normal password, but when I tried it this morning, I got the "Incorrect password; try again" message. How this happened I cannot say, because I did not change any passwords. Tried it 3 times, but no go. I do not have a password reset disk and advice on various sites have been no help whatsoever. Any advice other than "reinstalling windows" and losing all my programs, files etc.?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Check to make sure that the caps key is not enabled....just happened to me 2 days ago. Apparently while playing a game I inadvertently hit the caps key. Took me a few minutes but I found that that was the issue.

Reaction score
Try turning the PC OFF for one minute. Restart and try the hidden admin account again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I got the "Incorrect password; try again" message. How this happened I cannot say, because I did not change any passwords. Tried it 3 times, but no go. I do not have a password reset disk and advice on various sites have been no help whatsoever. Any advice other than "reinstalling windows" and losing all my programs, files etc.?
That may be a tough one to resolve, unless.....
You have a second account on the computer that is also a member of the local administrators group.
In which case you should be able to change the hidden administrator account password from an administrator's command prompt by typing
net user administrator password
change the word password above to whatever you like and remember it is case sensitive.

With your current problem, are you able to use the little "eye" icon in the password box to confirm that as you enter the password it is appearing exactly as you are typing.
It may be a faulty key on the keyboard that is not producing the appropriate letter when you strike it.
Like sometimes on a laptop if the NUM Lock is on (or off) as you are typing it might produce a different character than what you expect.

Otherwise you might have to invest in a third party program like
http://www.pcunlocker.com/buy.html
I purchased the Enterprise version a while back and it was the best $50 bucks I ever spent.
You can use it to produce a bootable CD or USB thumb drive from the ISO they supply and use it to clear the problem password.
I bought the Enterprise version because it support UEFI (safe boot) configuration, without the need for any additional messing about in the BIOS.

Reaction score
Try turning the PC OFF for one minute. Restart and try the hidden admin account again.
Hi Norton. Only saw your message today (I'm from Cape Town, South Africa) so yes, the laptop was turned off yesterday. Tried the hidden admin account again after logging on, but nope, no go. Thank you for responding.

Reaction score
You have a second account on the computer that is also a member of the local administrators group.
In which case you should be able to change the hidden administrator account password from an administrator's command prompt by typing
change the word password above to whatever you like and remember it is case sensitive.

With your current problem, are you able to use the little "eye" icon in the password box to confirm that as you enter the password it is appearing exactly as you are typing.
It may be a faulty key on the keyboard that is not producing the appropriate letter when you strike it.
Like sometimes on a laptop if the NUM Lock is on (or off) as you are typing it might produce a different character than what you expect.

I purchased the Enterprise version a while back and it was the best $50 bucks I ever spent.
You can use it to produce a bootable CD or USB thumb drive from the ISO they supply and use it to clear the problem password.
I bought the Enterprise version because it support UEFI (safe boot) configuration, without the need for any additional messing about in the BIOS.

Good day Trouble, or may I call you Solution? Thank you so much for your advice; it worked. I saw 3 mountains stacked on one another and (in my case) the solution was a little mole heap; perhaps I should say "ant heap". After spending something like 8 hours searching for a solution and trying all kinds of things, the solution was so simple - 2 entries! Thanks once again for the trouble you went to to reply and your advice.

Ask a Question