Hidden shortcuts in root

Reaction score
Hi
As the title states I noticed two hidden shortcuts in my root c drive. A shortcut to programs and a shortcut to documents and settings. I have not created them myself and I apparently don't have permission to open them even though I'm using the main admin user I get an error stating "permission denied".

I hope someone have insight regarding this, since I would really like to know what created them and why. Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Shawn,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Hidden Documents and Settings shortcut you can see in the root directory after un-hiding protected operating system files is intended to be there as legacy support from Microsoft for those with older PCs that were upgrade from XP, to Vista, 7, 8 then on to Windows 10. It's inaccessible as its only intended to be a joint file to connect old with the new [ in Windows 10's Case C:\Users is the equivalent of XP's Documents and Settings.

I'm not certain about your Programs shortcut you mentioned, unless you mean C:\Data\Programs which would likely be another legacy feature for older PCs now using Windows 10. That directory would store installed apps, so again this would be a joint file to connect to Windows 10's C:\Windows\SystemApps and probably intertwined with the Start menu too. Someone else may be more familiar with the shortcut you mean though, so do not take this as Gospel.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi
As the title states I noticed two hidden shortcuts in my root c drive. A shortcut to programs and a shortcut to documents and settings. I have not created them myself and I apparently don't have permission to open them even though I'm using the main admin user I get an error stating "permission denied".

I hope someone have insight regarding this, since I would really like to know what created them and why. Thanks.

Do you mean this:
2017-10-29_103556.jpg
???

If so then check this:

2017-10-29_103651.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32.
Ah that makes sense, thanks! So that's the Documents and Settings shortcut resolved. The other shortcut is to Programs, I guess it's another legacy folder, but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks for joining in Grizzly. Yes that's one of the folders I was in doubt about. I know how to hide them from view by doing what you posted a screenshot of, but I want to figure out the origin of those files, not just hide them.

Ask a Question