SOLVED System not accepting the setting to show hidden files.

Reaction score
Tried setting the control button to "on" - appears to accepts the setting but on exit it returns to being unset.
As administrator have tried Regedit to change the "Hidden" setting from "0" to "1" but gives a message "Error writing the value's new contents".

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Harrold,

Welcome to the Forum.

In Windows 10 when you open File Explorer, and have navigated to the folder you wish to see hidden items in, you can then in File Explorer's ribbon click the View tab and check the Show hidden items box if you need to see the hidden items.

Your post is a little confusing, so I am assuming you are referring to the following Registry keys:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL

If that is correct, can you please indicate which value, or values you attempted to modify?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,
Thanks so much for looking at this for me.
It was the Show hidden items box (radio button) that I set ON. It accepted the tick to turn ON but on exit and then re-checking it was OFF - it just would not stay ON.
It was the KEY_CURRENT_USER ... HIDDEN that I was trying to change because I read that it should be set to "1" in an answer to a query posted on a different site.

I have now found the following entries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL

I have not modified any registry values before so can you advise what I should be looking for here and what setting, if any, to change and what it should be changed to.

Both currently have a setting for ValueName of Hidden

Regards

Harold

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Harold,

The following values need to be set like so:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden
  • REG_SZ Type needs a Data value of group
Sample image

sample1.png

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN

• REG_DWORD (32-bit Value) CheckedValue needs a Data Value of 0x00000002(2)
  • REG_DWORD (32-bit-Value) DefaultValue needs a Data Value of 0x00000002(2)
  • REG_DWORD (32-bit Value) Id needs a Data Value of 0x00000001(1)
Sample image

sample2.png

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
  • REG_DWORD (32-bit Value) CheckedValue needs a Data Value of 0x00000001(1)
  • REG_DWORD (32-bit-Value) DefaultValue needs a Data Value of 0x00000002(2)
  • REG_DWORD (32-bit Value) Id needs a Data Value of 0x00000002(2)
Sample image

sample3.png

I've attached a file for you to use if you would like:
  • Download the attached file: Hidden Default Settings Windows 10.reg
  • Before using scan the download with your security software to check for malware/virus
  • When satisfied it is safe, right-click and select Merge
    • A UAC prompt will appear. Click Yes
    • Next a Registry Editor prompt will ask you to confirm adding information. Click Yes
    • Finally a Registry Information prompt will appear. Click OK
  • Next right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager
  • Scroll to bottom of window and right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart
  • Your screen will darken/flash momentarily. This is normal. When done, close Task Manager.
Merging this file will reset your Registry Hidden key and its sub-keys to their default status.

When done, the next time you open File Explorer, and the directory you needed to view hidden items in, simply click the View tab in File Explorer's ribbon and check the Hidden items box. When you check that box it automatically checks the radio button in Folder options for you, and vice-versa.

Example image

sample4.png

If you removed that radio dot in folder options now, then clicked OK, the check next to Hidden items in your File Explorer View tab would automatically remove too.

Regards,

Regedit32

Attachments

• Hidden Default Settings Windows 10.reg
    2.3 KB · Views: 651

Ask a Question