SOLVED Windows Defender Icon Missing In "Show Hidden Icons"

Reaction score
Hello. I recently had my Win 10 PC remotely worked on by a tech service. I was using Windows Defender and firewall. After repairing my PC, he installed Webroot telling me it was much better that WD. After a few days, I decided to go back to Windows Defender. Here is the problem. There used to be several icons in Show Hidden Icons in the task bar one of which was WD icon. Now the WD icon is no longer there along with all the other icons that were there.
I don't want to blame this on the tech, but.......... Any ideas what could have happened? Any ideas on how I can get those icons back? I'm more concerned about the WD icon than the others. I liked the little green check mark that told me all was ok.

Reaction score
Usually the installation of a third-party antivirus will turn off Windows Defender but uninstalling that program also usually turns Windows Defender back on. The underlying issue is that one doesn't want 2 AV programs running at the same time, they can be installed but only one run in the background and run the other manually if desired. Did you try right-clicking the Taskbar, click Taskbar settings then scroll down to the Notification Area section to see what can be changed?

Reaction score
I checked the Notification Area, and Windows Defender Notification toggle is on. The only thing showing in the Show Hidden Icons is a Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon.

Reaction score
My guess would be that Webroot was not uninstalled properly and WD has not started properly. Check and see if Webroot has an unistall program and download/run it.

Reaction score
Try doing a manual "Quick Scan" with Defender and see if that turns on the tray icon.

Reaction score
I just started up my PC, and surprise, surprise there is the WD icon with the green check mark. :) I don't know how or why, but happy to see it again. :D

@ram1220....Uninstalling Webroot was an ordeal. I wouldn't think that a security sweet that claims to be one of the lightest, was so difficult to remove. I will never put it on my PC again.

Thanks to all who offered their help with this problem. Much appreciated.

Ask a Question