Hidden Admin Account

Reaction score
Having used the hidden admin account, I now have a folder in Users. how do you make folder hidden again

Reaction score
Right click on the Hidden Administrator Account folder, select Properties > General Tab and check mark "Hidden" should do it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's normally the "account" and not the profile folder that is hidden.
You can set a couple attributes that will "hide" the profile folder to some extent although it can readily be exposed again by unchecking a couple boxes in folder options.
Open an administrative command prompt and type
attrib +s +h C:\Users\Administrator
hit enter and refresh your file explorer view and see if it disappears.

Reaction score
Right click on the Hidden Administrator Account folder, select Properties > General Tab and check mark "Hidden" should do it.
If I do that the next new user I create is unusable. Had to restore image to before use of admin account before I could create a new user

Reaction score
I fAfter reading about ti way back in earlier OSs, I realised what a huge security risk it was. It may have changed in Windows 10, but all I needed was to type, in a command prompt/admin
net user Administrator /active:no

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
/active:yes
AND
/active:no
Will enable or disable the normally hidden administrator account, but I don't believe that it would have any impact on the actual profile folder in C:\Users that is produced when you actually use it to log on to your computer.
I now have a folder in Users
I could be wrong, as it's been a long time since I have actually used the Administrator account on any of my computers.

Reaction score
I agree. It shouldn't. It has been around, as I said, for a while. It was, at least, in Windiws 7 and perhaps a afr back as Window XP.
If I recall, it is being used under several conditions, ie. during the recover operation and when a cumulative update is being installed. Probably many other little secrets, also.
It serves no useful purpose for the normal user. If I felt the need for an Admin backup, I would prefer to create another Admin account.

Reaction score
I don't seem to have a problem creating another User account with the elevated Administrator folder hidden.
But, I just realized there's a problem with my Users folder. The elevated account is hidden, I have a local Admin and also my daily user account.
All User folders are displayed in C:\Users. if "View" hidden items is unchecked.
To make matters worse when I'm logged into my User account I can open the elevated (hidden) admin account. That's kinda scary, should someone manage to get into my local user account.

Last edited:

Ask a Question