No idea what Password is for "hidden" Administrator account.

Reaction score
After I had installed Windows 10, I restored some backup files I had from another computer using Windows 7. When I tried to access the files, I was told that none of my software could load the files. After doing some research on several of the Windows forums, I found out the account I had been using from the very beginning was not the "real" Administrator account. As such, I could not change any of the User Privileges. Research again indicated I needed to "activate" the EUC Administrator, which I did. However, I was never asked for a Password when it was activated. Now, when I try to access the new Administrator account, I can't get past the Logon screen as I do not have a password. I have tried ALL the passwords I can remember from both the current Windows 7 and 10 User/Administrator accounts on this and the other computer, all to no avail. HOW do I either determine what the "default" password is or how do I change the "default" password without knowing what is in the system right now? Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The default password for the hidden administrator account is blank and is no password, just hit enter.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I assume that the black screen is different than when you type in an incorrect password?
Have you given the black screen a minute or two to complete the loading of what would be a new profile?

Reaction score
Yes, but after about 10 minutes I did a hard reset and when I tried it again, I got the same result. I will try it again and see what happens. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might try, from the black screen using
Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination to see if you can launch Task Manager and then start explorer.exe

Reaction score
Tried accessing the Admin account with no password. Got the black screen again, but after a few minutes the Recycle Bin appeared in the top left corner of the screen and the Task Bar appeared on the bottom of the screen (where I normally have it). On the Task Bar the Windows icon was in it's normal position, but was White in color and totally unresponsive. Then up came a dialog box "EEvent Manager - The system cannot find the path specified." I clicked OK and it never went anywhere else. I can launch Task Manager but I did not try to launch explorer.exe. I will give that a shot and see what happens.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Give it a few more minutes and see if the start button works.
It takes a minute or two on a new profile.
The messages you receive might have something to do with the fact that you are using the hidden admin account, there are some things that just won't work, like most of the new Universal Apps.
What is or was your ultimate goal for using the hidden administrator's account to begin with?

Reaction score
I just tried it again with same results, but this time I got a LOCATION IS NOT AVAILABLE dialog box which stated: "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config\SystemProfile\Desktop is unavailbale. If the location is not on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted and then try again..." I then went on to talk about connecting to the Network (which I don't have). I the tried running explorer.exe, and I got it to come up. When I went to the location designated, I could not find the Desktop folder. Now, I don't know where to go. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
My ultimate goal for using the hidden administrator's account was to change the User Priviliges on the Restored files so I could use my regular Myaccount/Admin logon to do the work I wanted to do with the files.

Reaction score
I tried to go into the Administrator account again. I got a LOCATION IS NOT AVAILABLE dialog box which stated "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config\SystemProfile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected and the disc is inserted and try again..." At that point I tried to run explorer.exe. That came up, but I could not find the "Desktop" folder by following the indicated path. I also tried to search for the folder using the Search capabilities, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is your normal account that you typically use to login with not a member of the local administrators group?
Is this Home or Pro version of Windows 10?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So perhaps we can address the problem and forget about the hidden admin account for now, as you probably really don't need it.
change the User Priviliges on the Restored files
Where are these "restored files" located currently? Have you placed them all into a folder on your computer's hard drive?
The reason you are having trouble is probably due to the fact that the files came from another machine and are owned by an account that the current machine has no concept of so the first thing you will need to do is....
Take ownership. Download and run this small utility from here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
It will add a "Take Ownership" option to your right click context menu.
You can perform that task on individual files or whole folders (depending on the folders of course you generally don't want to take ownership of things like Program Files and other windows system folders.
After you take ownership of the files, that may be sufficient, or....
You may still have to grant your current user account explicit full control privileges to the individual files or the parent folder contain and cascade that down to subfolders and files.
You do this by right clicking the file or folder and choosing properties and then selecting the "Security" tab and using the advanced button to add your account with the appropriate "Full" control.

NOTE: It's after midnight here so I will be back to check in the morning as to how you are progressing.

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get an update to you. I downloaded the TakeOwnership .zip file, Extracted it and tried to run it. I got the following REGISTRY ERROR dialog box: "Cannot import C:\Users\....\InstallTakeOwnership.reg: Error accessing the Registry". I went back out and checked my User Account and it seems as though I no longer have User/Admin. Not sure what to do now. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It seems that something is definitely going on with your install.
You might try using the hidden admin account again and see if it will work well enough for you to add a new user from a command prompt
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type