Having alot of problems with windows 10 with no idea of the cause

Reaction score
My situation is that I installed windows 10 for free after using windows 8, and have had the following problems on some startups:
  • The icons don't appear on startup, and not for 15 minutes to1 hour
  • Can't open Google Chrome for a similar, although not related, length of time
  • The computer seems to randomly make the taskbar and icons (if they are there) disappear for a moment, and the icons sometimes don't come back
  • the file explorer is stuck loading for a long time before it gives up
  • when I search in the start menu, the selected thing that would start up is not coloured differently as it is supposed to be
  • when i shut it down when it is like this it sometimes takes a ridiculous amount of time
Please can someone help me, the only thing that fixes this is to restart the computer, which sometimes, as i said, takes a long time

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Clean boot the system
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for 8 / 8.1 same for 10
Easily done and easily undone, basically you are just disabling all startup items and non-Microsoft services. Don't mess with Microsoft services, check the box to hide them.
If you have an old mechanical spinner hard drive, try defragging it manually a couple times with a cold boot in between.

Reaction score
thank you, I did the clean boot, but my hard drive is not that type. I do not currently have the problem, but it may not work in the long term, but i guess i'll find out

Reaction score
My situation is that I installed windows 10 for free after using windows 8, and have had the following problems on some startups:
  • The icons don't appear on startup, and not for 15 minutes to1 hour
  • Can't open Google Chrome for a similar, although not related, length of time
  • The computer seems to randomly make the taskbar and icons (if they are there) disappear for a moment, and the icons sometimes don't come back
  • the file explorer is stuck loading for a long time before it gives up
  • when I search in the start menu, the selected thing that would start up is not coloured differently as it is supposed to be
  • when i shut it down when it is like this it sometimes takes a ridiculous amount of time
Please can someone help me, the only thing that fixes this is to restart the computer, which sometimes, as i said, takes a long time

Ask a Question