My idea fora different type of Notepad for Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi. Not to be smart with anyone here; what I’m about to propose might seem a bit out there, but I’m curious as to if anyone might have had the same idea/thought. Sometimes, pictures (or Icons) can be deceiving. Take the Window’s Notepad icon that goes back at least to XP, if not in earlier versions of Windows. If you were to take a close look at the traditional Window’s notepad icon, up on top (of the icon) it has little spirals. To me, if I didn’t know anything about Windows & I saw that traditional Notepad icon on someone’s computer desktop I would think maybe the app was like an actual spiral notepad. What do I mean by a spiral notepad & wished Microsoft had developed one for Windows. What I mean that is a notepad where you can flip through several pages to keep notes, from having to save every Notepad/note separately. Essentially, you can also call it a notebook (or a spiral notebook). Yes, I have & often use MS OneNote, but I’m talking about a little notepad (or scratchpad) to have off to the side. I’ve done some extensive research & tried a few mini notepads, but none of them really satisfied me. I even have the Notepad for Window’s 10, but I don’t care for using it because 1) you can only resize/shrink the window to a certain point & I wanted the window in ‘Notepad for Windows’s 10’ to be smaller then I’m able to get it my liking. B) Also in ‘Notepad for Windows’s 10’ I can’t get the font small enough like in the traditional Window’s Notepad & it’s not easy-friendly with scroll up & down. The good thing with, ‘Notepad for Windows’s 10’ is that you’re able to format the text unlike in the traditional Window’s Notepad.

Now I highly hesitate myself on bringing this up because there’s a lot of controversy over this non-Microsoft program with many people saying that it only causes problems. Originally, when Windows 7 came out they came out with was called, sidebar gadgets. I myself relied on & utilized then frequently, yet when Microsoft came out with Windows 8 they totally did away with sidebar gadgets. Then in Windows 10, (whether it was still a controversy or not) I downloaded a program called, 8GadgetPpack. Where I’m going with all of this? One of the gadgets within this 8Gadget Pack is called, Long notes (or sticky notes for the 8Gadget Pack), which is extremely small!) but if anyone out there is somewhat familiar with them the note is stacked one on top of another. So you may have 3-sticky notes in the 8Gadget pack (sidebar), but you can click a left or right arrow to switch between notes & there’s also an add & delete buttons. I’m sorry for ranting, I just wish Microsoft (or a company) would develop a bigger sized notepad/sticky note under the format I described.

Any input is welcome!

Reaction score
The 'traditional' Notepad is a text editor, not a word processor like Lotus WordPro, WordPerfect, Microsoft Word, etc. It does not have much in the way of formatting tools on purpose, it is designed to work with plain data when writing software programs/programming without having the problems associated with a word processor which always has hidden data which can get in the way of creating programs. Notepad also works well when creating Web pages using HTML/Hyper Text Markup Language.
Notepad may not be in as much favor nowadays but is still quite useful in creating batch/.bat files which are a minor form of programming but can be powerful.

An example of a "more modern" type notepad would be OneNote [free from Microsoft] or Notepad++ [also free] but still may have hidden data in pages.

Right-click any Web page such as this one and choose View Source in Firefox or View, Source in Internet Explorer to see what HTML creation contains.

Reaction score
Have you tried the "Sticky notes" that comes with windows 10?

Ask a Question