Hidden Administrator problem

Reaction score
Clicking on some program icons results in a message: "This app can't open - [program name] can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator Account. Sign in with a different account and try again"
I've tried enabling/disabling the Hidden Administrator Accounts, but the problem continues. Is there a straightforward fix for this problem?
Thank you

Reaction score
As trimful says, there is no day to day need to be using the built in Admin account. I would advise against it, as it gives too many open priviliges which can ruin your OS.

But I don't think that is the reason. You built in account may be turned off. This is not so "straightforward",, but, If you wish to continue, try this advice from MS:
In the run box, type secpol.msc

This will take you into the group policies.
Open Local Policies –> Security Options
Go down and find “User Access Control: Admin Approval Mode", in the right hand window.

Double click it and, if not already, enable it.
Now, their is one further alteration. You should, before trying this, back up(export) your registry.
Type regedit in the run box and open
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\UIPI

Look on the right hand window and double click on default and change the value to 0x00000001(1) and click ok

You will need to restart your computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that this happens, at least sometimes, when a user account has changed the settings for his UAC to zero.
AND because of this change the OS is mis-identifying the account as the built in / hidden administrator account.
Moving the slider back up to the second location from the top "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)" may fix the issue.
At least worth a look see.

Ask a Question