Run As Administrator from Start

Reaction score
Why would you do that?? Do you mean permanently or just once??
the "run as administrator" option has system wide privileges and I am talking about root privileges which opens every door on your system for malware.
Unless I did not quite get what you mean....

I agree, some programs need those privileges to run properly but this will only be on demand and in certain situations. If you want to run an app with admin privileges, you can right click on the Icon and click on [run as administrator]. Not all apps have this option, only app which are needed to run the system....

Reaction score
Why would you do that?? Do you mean permanently or just once??
the "run as administrator" option has system wide privileges and I am talking about root privileges which opens every door on your system for malware.
Unless I did not quite get what you mean....

I agree, some programs need those privileges to run properly but this will only be on demand and in certain situations. If you want to run an app with admin privileges, you can right click on the Icon and click on [run as administrator]. Not all apps have this option, only app which are needed to run the system....

I'm a developer and many of the tools I need I have to run as administrator. Going through the Start/ select icon/ select more/ select Run as Administrator rain dance causes me problems. I was hoping for something like setting the Advanced/Properties check box on might be available for start icons as well.

Reaction score
there is a way but it will not involve the Start menu. You can create a shortcut to the tool on the desktop and open the properties of said shortcut. here you can set it to [run as administrator] . you only have to confirm the security popup. that is the only way I know about...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF it is really that inconvenient, you can always resort to the "RunAs" technique.
I used this in Windows 7 and it still seems to work in Windows 10.
I just tested it with C:\Windows\System32\Cmd.exe
And it seemed to work fine.
The /savecred switch works fine IF you have the "hidden" / "disabled" built in "Administrators" account enable and assigned a password.

Here is a walk through that should work for you
https://www.howtogeek.com/124087/ho...ard-user-run-an-application-as-administrator/

Reaction score
Finally found it. Here is the Rx
Permanently run Program as an administrator
  1. Navigate to the program folder for the program
  2. Right-click the program icon (the .exe file).
  3. Choose Properties.
  4. On the Compatibility tab, select the Run This Program As An Administrator option.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Keep User Account Control happy.
  7. Don't keep relearning this fact...

Reaction score

??. That is a normal approach to running a program as an Administrator, but I may have misunderstood the meaning of the thread title.

Reaction score
  1. Navigate to the program folder for the program
  2. Right-click the program icon (the .exe file).
  3. Choose Properties.
  4. On the Compatibility tab, select the Run This Program As An Administrator option.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Keep User Account Control happy.
  7. Don't keep relearning this fact...

That only works for programs that you installed yourself. This does not apply to the apps Windows 10 has by default.
The title suggested these were to be included...

Ask a Question