Games run fine but background tasks freeze randomly

Reaction score
PC Specs:
ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming motherboard
16gb Corsair Vengeance ram(Running in dual channel at 2400mhz)
GTX 1060 6gb
Ryzen 7 1700
Firecuda 2TB Hybrid Drive

I have recently done a fresh install of windows and have installed all of the required drivers and flashed my bios to the newest version(12/13/2018). I am also running on the latest release of windows 10.

My problem:
I can play my games just fine for the most part but for some reason all of my background tasks such as discord and microsoft edge will just suddenly stop working. If I attempt to tab out to check on them it eventually freezes everything except the game that I am playing.

If I am not playing any games my pc seems to freeze at random times and I can still move my cursor around and see it moving over things but I can't click any of them. Then after 30 seconds to a minute everything seems to come back until it freezes again, it's just a never ending cycle and it is really starting to frustrate me.

I have left my task manager open to monitor it when my computer freezes to see if any thing spikes and the most that I have noticed is Service Host: Sysmain will randomly take a very small amount of disk usage. Other than that my cpu usage is always pretty low and so is my memory.

I should also mention that after my pc runs for about 45 mins to an hour it seems to run fine for a while.

I really have no idea what could be causing the problem at this point but if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have left my task manager open to monitor it when my computer freezes
Sounds a bit like something is crashing the shell (explorer.exe / Windows Explorer)

IF it crashes, even the open instance of Task Manager may not function (refresh) properly.
You may need to use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to launch a second instance of Task Manager and then see if you can find Windows Explorer and right click and restart it.
IF that seems to give you back control of your seemingly frozen machine you will need to find the culprit.

Reaction score
Sounds a bit like something is crashing the shell (explorer.exe / Windows Explorer)

IF it crashes, even the open instance of Task Manager may not function (refresh) properly.
You may need to use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to launch a second instance of Task Manager and then see if you can find Windows Explorer and right click and restart it.
IF that seems to give you back control of your seemingly frozen machine you will need to find the culprit.

How would I go about finding the culprit, could it be a service or something ? At this point I don't have much on my pc because it was a fresh install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Ask a Question