An Administrator Has Blocked You From Running This App

Reaction score
I am trying out this 'getprivate' software and it installed correctly. When it run for first time it has no problem. when I close the windows, next time I launch it, it won't open, a window pop up, 'an administrator has blocked your from this app.

I did some research on web about this error. I tried turned off user control, change user type from administrator to limited. still doing the same.

any suggestions??

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What AV do you have? What firewall do you have? It sounds like one of those are blocking it from running......just a guess.

Do you have a link to the software? Alternatively you can try running said software as an administrator by right clicking it and select run as admin.

Reaction score
run as administrator stay the same. only this single software have this issue. I disabled antivirus run time scan too.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi byu1,

Windows 10 has a built in Smart Screen which is designed to protect you from apps doing unauthorized actions that may harm your Operating System. But like any protection application it sometimes is too zealous and hence you see that error message, "An administrator has blocked you from running this app."

If you are 100% satisfied this GetPrivate app is safe to use, then do the following:
  • Uninstall the GetPrivate app
  • Return to Windows Store or wherever you got the app from and download and save the Installation file for GetPrivate app. DO NOT run this installation yet!
  • Next press Winkey + X | then press A or with mouse click Command Prompt (Admin)
  • If prompted press Y or click Yes button
The Administrator: Command Prompt console will open with the following prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32>
  • At this prompt type or copy and paste the following:
net user administrator /active:yes
  • Press Enter key to execute the command
  • Now type exit then press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console
  • Left-click Start | then in the top left corner of context menu that appears left-click your account name and select Sign out
This will take you to your Login Screen. You will now see your account but also Administrator
  • Sign in Administrator
  • Go to the location you saved the installation file for GetPrivate app
  • Install the GetSmart app
  • Left-click Start | then left-click account name at top left corner | select Sign out
  • Now sign in with your regular account
  • Press Winkey + X | then press A or with mouse click Command Prompt (Admin) | press Y or click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy and paste the following:
net user administrator /active:no
  • This command will remove Administrator from your login screen
  • Press Enter key to execute command
  • Type exit | then press Enter key to close Administrator: Command Prompt console
OK, you ought to now be able to run your GetPrivate app without the alert that the Administrator has blocked you from running this app.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I did that. still same. I am running from local account with administrator right, built in administrator is also enabled.

I also tried steps from
http://www.mynetworks.me/2015/08/02/windows-10-built-in-administrator-account-issues/

http://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2015/07/windows-10-edge-opened-builtin-administrator-account/

when FilterAdministratorToken set to 1 and UIPI set to 1, getprivate will run in local account, but when edge and mail app will get error', Microsoft Edge can’t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again. same in local account and administrator account.

Regedit32

Reaction score
byu1

getprivate is reported as bundled adware.

Can you provide a legitimate link to Microsoft Store for a genuine Windows app?

If not I'll be reporting this thread as unsafe and be requesting a Moderator remove it on the grounds of security and wasting peoples time.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Try this. Open settings - Privacy. Turn OFF the smart screen (if it is on, of course) This may allow you to run the App, but, if the info regarding it is correct, Windows 10 security features will continue to try and prevent you from running it.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've reported this thread: its possible there is a misunderstanding given your vague description of the App; hence the request for you to post a link to the legitimate Microsoft Store app.

I'll leave this between you and the moderator to sought out.

Regedit32

Reaction score
byu1

If not I'll be reporting this thread as unsafe and be requesting a Moderator remove it on the grounds of security and wasting peoples time.

Regards,

Regedit32
byu1

Regards,

Regedit32

getprivate is a VPN software, not adware, not ad supported an no ads when running.

https://getprivate.net/

Regedit32

Reaction score
getprivate is a VPN software, not adware, not ad supported an no ads when running.

Thank you for posting a link to the actual App in question.

Now for some harsh reality:

GetPrivate is a free program that allows you to create a VPN connection to the company's servers that they state allows you to stay anonymous on the Internet.

As a way to earn revenue, though, GetPrivate will also inject ads into web sites that you are browsing while you are connected.

These advertisements will be shown regardless of whether or not the site normally displays ads and typically overlay the content of the web page.

When the ads are displayed they will be labeled Ads by GetPrivate.

So my question to you - Do you really want to install this onto your computer?

-- I'd recommend you stay away from the program personally --

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
From my pov, I have no wish to try it. But, isn't that applicable to many items of so-called "freeware". For various reasons, most offer this free stuff, primarily to get on the Ad circuit and create a nice income.

Reaction score
I tried it for 2 days. there is no ad shown in the software itself. No banner or ad forced on web pages.

now, is there a way to unblock it from security lock?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I tried it for 2 days. there is no ad shown in the software itself. No banner or ad forced on web pages.

now, is there a way to unblock it from security lock?

Clearly you did not bother to read their Terms of Service or Privacy Policy contracts:

So let me help you and anyone else being lured into this 3rd party adware ridden application:

GetPrivate's Privacy Policy in terms of Advertizing:
  • THE WAY GETPRIVATE USES INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM GETPRIVATE VPN:
    • GetPrivate may use automatically-collected information in the aggregate to monitor the advertisements displayed on the GetPrivate VPN, and for purposes of research or analysis. Please note that by having GetPrivate VPN on your computer, but not turned on, no information is collected by GetPrivate. Anonymous web information may only be collected when you turn GetPrivate VPN ON.
  • WHEN GETPRIVATE DISCLOSES INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM GETPRIVATE VPN:
    • GetPrivate may share anonymous data with a variety of third parties, including its affiliates, advertisers, and other current and prospective business partners. GetPrivate may use anonymous data collected for website administration, advertising, and promotional purposes, and may share such information with various affiliated and unaffiliated entities for such purposes.
      GetPrivate may also enter into agreements with outside companies that possess technology that allows GetPrivate to customize the advertising and marketing messages Users receive while using the GetPrivate VPN, and those outside companies may have access to anonymous data that was collected from GetPrivate VPN users.
    • GetPrivate may disclose automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally-identifiable information with interested third parties to assist such parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the GetPrivate VPN.
  • THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISERS, LINKS TO OTHER SITES ON THE GETPRIVATE VPN:
    • GetPrivate allows other companies, called third-party ad servers or ad networks, to serve advertisements within GetPrivate VPN. These third-party ad servers or ad networks use technology to send, directly to your browser, the advertisements and links. Any third parties including advertisers may automatically receive the virtual IP Address assigned by GetPrivate. Your original IP address will not be collected or provided to any third parties by GetPrivate. Advertisers may also use other technologies (such as cookies, javascript, or web beacons) to measure the effectiveness of their advertisements and to personalize their advertising content. GetPrivate's GetPrivate VPN Privacy Notice does not apply to, and we cannot control the activities of, such other advertisers or other web sites visited by Users. Please note that this Privacy Notice will not apply to your activities or any information you disclose while using any third-party products or services or otherwise interacting with third parties. How third parties handle and use your personal information related to their sites and services is governed by their security, privacy and other policies, if any, and not this Privacy Notice. GetPrivate has no responsibility for any third party's policies, or any third party's compliance with them. Anyone may opt out of the cookies as directed by NAI opt-out page, which is currently located at http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp

GetPrivate's Terms of Service in regards to Advertizing:

TOS #3. The information you provide when you connect and use the service, have access only to employees of GetPrivate.net. Your information may be used only by us to provide our services to you. We respect your privacy and will not share its third person, except in the following situations:
(a) At the request of law enforcement agencies in compliance with all procedures established by law.

(b) The user has violated the rules for the use of the service.
TOS #4. You agree to receive newsletters and other commercials from GetPrivate.net by e-mail.

Notice the contradiction in the Terms of Service clause 3 (hilighted in red) and the Privacy Policy under sections: 'WHEN GETPRIVATE DISCLOSES INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM GETPRIVATE VPN' and 'THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISERS, LINKS TO OTHER SITES ON THE GETPRIVATE VPN'!
For this reason I personally will not be further assisting you with this thread. Other's may do as they please unless a Moderator deems this thread unsuitable. Please accept my apologies for my first post regarding installing this program via Administrator. I should have checked out this program before posting a viable solution.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Reaction score
That private policy is a little more up front than some I have read. Problem is that no one ever reads them!

Different wording, perhaps, but here is Ableword's, a very reliable and well used program.

http://www.ableword.net/privacy.html

But the bottom line is, if you think the terms are acceptable then - - - good luck.

fwiw. In my position, and as a partner, I have been obliged to accept most of Microsoft's terms. If you worry about intrusion on privacy, they can be scary!

Ask a Question