No option to disable password in netplwiz

Reaction score
That's a local account. You have to setup a MS Account then it needs to be verified. Once that is done then you can use netplwiz.
OK so once I sign in with a MS account what do I do to verify the local one? Every time I go to change it to administrator, even from the MS account, it just tells me that it already is one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Settings -- accounts here you do change or use Local then reset and leave the Password blank
1593994826563.png

or the easy way. for Novice

Change your Microsoft account password

Keep your account more secure by changing your password regularly. It only takes a few steps.
  • How to change your Microsoft password
    Sign in to your Microsoft account using your current password. If you forgot your password, either select Forgot my password and follow the steps. Or, for deeper account sign-in issues, see How to reset your Microsoft account password.
    Once you've signed in, select Security.
    Select Password security.
    Type your current password, then type a new password (or leave it blank) and type it again to verify.
    Select Save.

Attachments

• 1593994599784.png
    1593994599784.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 158
Reaction score
To *remove* a Windows logon password for a *Local* account:
Start > Settings > Account > Sign-In Options > Password
Enter your current password, then when it prompts you for the new password, leave it all blank.

p.s. Local account versus Microsoft Account has no bearing here except that you can NOT remove a password from a MS Account. For more info on Local Account versus Microsoft Account see https://www.lifewire.com/local-vs-microsoft-accounts-in-windows-3507003

gdg

Reaction score
I had the same issue - local user is Admin only 1 user on the account (me). I read through this and gave up for a few hours. Then later all I did was go to Sign-in option in Accounts and select CHANGE password. Popped in the current password and left New Password and Confirm Password as blank. Saved and done.! no need to use a password now. It just logs straight into Windows.

Reaction score
Hi there, I just installed a fresh copy of windows 10 and since I am the only one using my computer and it is safe at home I want to disable the password so when it boots up I don't have to log on. I read that to do this you can disable it in netplwiz but when I go there, there is simply no option to disable the password.
View attachment 11935
Does anyone know why this might be? Thanks.
Hey brother, just go to settings / Accounts / Sign-on options / password, choose change, put current password in and when it prompts you for a new password, don't type anything in the blanks and click next. Tada!

Reaction score
I know this is a super old thread, but here's how I fixed the same issue OP had,

Goal: We have to diable Windows hello sign-in. The only way I was able to do that was through the registry.

right click on start button > click Run > type in regedit.exe > browse to the below location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device

change DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion
value from 2 to 0

now open netplwiz and option "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" should be visible

Reaction score
I know this is a super old thread, but here's how I fixed the same issue OP had,

Goal: We have to diable Windows hello sign-in. The only way I was able to do that was through the registry.

right click on start button > click Run > type in regedit.exe > browse to the below location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device

change DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion
value from 2 to 0

now open netplwiz and option "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" should be visible

Great, you just solved my problem!! thanks!!

Reaction score
HI
on my admin account i can use netplwiz which opens user accounts. it shows users must enter password. in the square box i untick it then
go to the reset password which takes you to another window where you remove your password from the two boxes
then apply and close the windows. when you reboot it should not ask for a password
BRUNOS

Ask a Question