SOLVED Not talking to you

Reaction score
I can't get my Microsoft 950 to talk to my PC so I can download some images. I've connected the two with two different cables, both of which will charge the phone while connected, tried two separate USB ports & keep getting a box with this message:

Camera Window

Cannot detect camera.
Check connection to camera, then retry.

Both are running Windows 10 without other current issues. The message itself suggests that it can in fact detect the camera, otherwise why the specific references of the window to camera, so the issue seems to be elsewhere. I checked such settings as I was aware of & they seemed to be consistent to permitting connectivity, but I have found every time the phone is supplied a system software update, some settings seem to get blown away.

Any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you using the Phone Companion app?
Do you see your phone connected at the bottom of the app

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
No. It's not appropriate. The phone's mine; the PC is shared so any connection other than physical under my direct oversight is unacceptable.

Reaction score
I need to clarify. We're talking about two different Microsoft accounts. To exchange via the cloud would necessitate a procedure to log into & out of Microsoft accounts which would cause issues - unless I could change the ownership of the PC to me & give me control of access to the cloud.

So, the PC is set up for Account A. How do I close down that access & use Account B to access the cloud?

Reaction score
After further thought, I guess my question is why the heck this phone can't be USB connected to a PC like every other external peripheral in perpetuity?

Reaction score
OK, I found a Microsoft troubleshooting procedure to run. Outcome is that the phone is faulty. It should be able to plug in like other USB connectable devices.

Reaction score
Final outcome is that I can see it with Explorer & always could I guess; it just gives me a signal saying it ain't happening, so I stopped trying at the time.