NotReadableError

Reaction score
Has Win 10 solved the audio problems where even though a mic was allowed to be used in Permissions, that it still was not? I believe this is a known as a 'NotReadableError' (getUserMedia) problem. Any news at all? I think it was Win 10 specific. Had to do with WebRTC not working due to mic not being released by Win 10.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The NotReadableError is an exception controlled by the DOMException

This error can occur despite a User providing permissions because of a hardware error that can occur at the OS level, Web level, or Browser level.

The only work arounds I'm aware of are to programmatically offer the User a try again option — i.e. allow the User time to ensure no other application is currently making use of the microphone, or a webcam, then try again to access the microphone or webcam.

Another option that can allay this exception would be to programmatically stop all tracks of an active stream before attempting to acquire a new one. A user going by the name Kukunhin, provided this example code on GitHub:

Code:
if(this.lastStream) {
  this.lastStream.getTracks().forEach(track => track.stop())
}
Source: https://github.com/twilio/twilio-video.js/issues/325

From what I can tell this will be a persistent issue for people using Legacy hardware and/or applications.

Personally, I do not consider this issue to be unique to Windows 10. You could replicate this exception in Linux or any other OS, and likewise can easily replicate this situation in any web browser.

Reaction score
Thanks for this....really, but I haven't a clue how to use this code. Where is it placed? Is there anywhere to see how it's done? This is an area I don't have expertise in.

Regedit32

Reaction score
It'd help if you can give a summary of what you are doing when you run into this Exception.

I'd assumed you were programming, and had run into this exception when executing your program, but if its happening, for example, when you are accessing another website, then knowing what you are doing, when its occurring etcetera, might lead to a resolution.

The sample code I previously mentioned is something that someone needs to embed into their website if they are intending it be used for web or audio streaming to avoid the Exception error occurring.

Reaction score
What i was trying to do was use a feature called 'bodalgocall', which is a way for remote producers to listen in on a voiceover audition from my own small home studio. It uses WebRTC. Although I have had no problems with anything else recognizing my microphone, connecting through bodalgocall will not work, as it won't recognize my mic even though I have given permission.
bodalgocall is accessed through the bodalgo website, so how is the code you offered, to be used?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I took a look at the site you mentioned, and they are using a stock standard webRTC client.

Thus the code I was talking about will make no difference. That code is a catch you can use when programming your own website to handle streaming data. We've already established you are not doing that.

So now we need to look at your end.
  • You mentioned a mic but not much else about it. Is this a headset with mic, you are referring to, or something else?
  • In addition to the mic, are you using anything else, like a webcam?
  • What browser are you using to connect to the boldago site, and what build is that browser?
  • When you are connecting to website, do you have more than one tab open?

I'm asking these questions because its more than likely the issue here is your mic is in use ( albeit you not realizing that ). Chrome browsers for example, can call on your mic in multiple tabs, so if an additional tab is open when you attempt to connect using Bodalgo's website, the exeption error you are receiving can be triggered.

Likewise, you may have another application making use of your mic. For example, if you were attempting to record the stream, then the recording software may not release your mic in time for you to connect to the User you wish on the Boldago site, and that would also trigger the exception you mentioned.

Granting permission for mic to access the client via Bodalgo's site is fine, but the mic must not be in use by any other Browser, or browser tab, or other application, be that a built in Windows OS app like Skype, or any non-native apps that make use of the mic, while you are using a webRTC connection, otherwise, you will get the exception error.
In terms of browsers. Chrome browsers are not always so good at handling hardware [ in this case your mic ], and you might find that if you instead connected via FireFox, or Internet Explorer, or Edge, you would have a different experience. Note though, that each browser may handle the same exception differently, and provide a different error message, even though the same issue is in play ( that being when the mic is being used by another application, or browser, or web base layer. )

Reaction score
I took a look at the site you mentioned, and they are using a stock standard webRTC client.

Thus the code I was talking about will make no difference. That code is a catch you can use when programming your own website to handle streaming data. We've already established you are not doing that.

So now we need to look at your end.
  • You mentioned a mic but not much else about it. Is this a headset with mic, you are referring to, or something else?
  • In addition to the mic, are you using anything else, like a webcam?
  • What browser are you using to connect to the boldago site, and what build is that browser?
  • When you are connecting to website, do you have more than one tab open?

I'm asking these questions because its more than likely the issue here is your mic is in use ( albeit you not realizing that ). Chrome browsers for example, can call on your mic in multiple tabs, so if an additional tab is open when you attempt to connect using Bodalgo's website, the exeption error you are receiving can be triggered.

Likewise, you may have another application making use of your mic. For example, if you were attempting to record the stream, then the recording software may not release your mic in time for you to connect to the User you wish on the Boldago site, and that would also trigger the exception you mentioned.

Granting permission for mic to access the client via Bodalgo's site is fine, but the mic must not be in use by any other Browser, or browser tab, or other application, be that a built in Windows OS app like Skype, or any non-native apps that make use of the mic, while you are using a webRTC connection, otherwise, you will get the exception error.
In terms of browsers. Chrome browsers are not always so good at handling hardware [ in this case your mic ], and you might find that if you instead connected via FireFox, or Internet Explorer, or Edge, you would have a different experience. Note though, that each browser may handle the same exception differently, and provide a different error message, even though the same issue is in play ( that being when the mic is being used by another application, or browser, or web base layer. )

-XLR mic, into an Antelope Discrete 4 interface/preamp. Mic is only used in this way.....into Discrete 4 (input one), to computer, to DAW (Reaper), back out to headphones or single Yamaha studio monitor (speaker).
-no webcam
-Using latest Chrome browser
-single tab open
-tried Firefox, same problem.
-Can't find any other program or app using my mic.

What is the procedure for searching out what else could be trying to use my mic?

Regedit32

Reaction score
One of Chromes defaults is it allow continues running of apps after closing a browsing session. That may be your issue.

I'm just trying to recall where you find that in Settings to disable this.

The other thing with the latest Chrome is it has a tonne of experimental flags so if you search out Auto-play you'll find a number of settings related to webRTC, that you might want to play around with.

Depending on which edition of Windows 10 you are currently using, you might also have Microsoft's Skype app loading automatically in the background; that would certainly be a contender for use of mic , as would any application that allows communication between yourself and something/or someone else, e.g. Cortana - if you've enable voice searching, or instruction to open things via Cortana.

Reaction score
Thanks for the attention, Regedit32. Skype is disabled and there doesn't seem to be any audio based system accessing my mic. Cortana is all OFF. Well, at least for now, I know that there isn't any solution to this yet. I'll check again later.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm certainly out of ideas.

Have you contacted the Site you are having issues with.

Perhaps there is something they can do on their end, or hopefully, failing that, they'd have other ideas on what you could do.

Reaction score
Yes. Contacted bodalgo, but it works well for most, so they feel it is my Win 10 problem.....and, frankly, so do I.