Old digital camera won't work on Windows 10

Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a cheap, low-end, RCA (That's right--RCA) made in Mexico, digital camera that was on sale at Walmart because they were discontinuing it.

Well, it doesn't work on Windows 10. But that's okay, because it didn't work on Windows 7 or 8. My desktop had XP, 7, and 8 installed, and I simply used XP for the camera.

I upgraded 7 to 10, and today I tried the camera. It didn't even show on My Computer. Some posters have pointed out that their USB cable didn't work on 10, and getting a new one solved the problem. It worked great on XP, though, and I think that an incompatible USB cable might be the problem for digital cameras that don't work on 10.

Bif

Reaction score
Simplest and the least aggravation is taking the sd card out and inserting it into your PC and transferring the content that way..just forego trying to connect the camera all together.I've done this for years...

Reaction score
Simplest and the least aggravation is taking the sd card out and inserting it into your PC and transferring the content that way..just forego trying to connect the camera all together.I've done this for years...

Good idea for a high-quality camera. My camera doesn't have an sd card, though.

Reaction score
I would try booting from a Linux disk and seeing if the camera was recognized and the data read. Then copy to a thumb drive . If that worked If I wanted a permanent solution I'd try a Raspberry Pi. Run it headless after setup and use as a permanent camera interface.
Either way I'd scrap the camera and get one that had an SD card and that worked with W10

Reaction score
Good suggestion, Tim, except that I don't have enough cash lying around to buy a new camera. It is frustrating having a cheap camera, though.

Ask a Question