Password after waking from sleep

Reaction score
This has been a real problem on my Dell tablet since installing Windows 10. After waking the tablet from sleep, I would get prompted for my pin/password. On my tablet, this would happen any time the tablet was asleep for 10 seconds or more (I tested to find out how long it needed to be asleep before it would start prompting me again).

I tried all of the standard fixes, many of which are posted above, but none of them worked. My system is even set to auto-login with netplwiz, yet I continued to be prompted for a password after waking the tablet.

What finally fixed it for me was disabling the lock screen by adding the following key to the registry:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

On my tablet, the Personalization key did not exist, so I created it.

2. Under the Personalization key create a new DWORD value named NoLockScreen and set value to 1.

3. Restart the computer.

Unfortunately, this does disable the lock screen entirely, but at least I don't keep getting a password prompt. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Eric
Worked for me!! Asus T100TA tablet.
Thanks Eric

Reaction score
This has been a real problem on my Dell tablet since installing Windows 10. After waking the tablet from sleep, I would get prompted for my pin/password. On my tablet, this would happen any time the tablet was asleep for 10 seconds or more (I tested to find out how long it needed to be asleep before it would start prompting me again).

I tried all of the standard fixes, many of which are posted above, but none of them worked. My system is even set to auto-login with netplwiz, yet I continued to be prompted for a password after waking the tablet.

What finally fixed it for me was disabling the lock screen by adding the following key to the registry:

2. Under the Personalization key create a new DWORD value named NoLockScreen and set value to 1.

3. Restart the computer.

Unfortunately, this does disable the lock screen entirely, but at least I don't keep getting a password prompt. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Eric
I joined the forum just to say THANK YOU x10000. I am an insurance adjuster and use my SP3 on a daily basis. I have to constantly measure rooms, re-wake my device, and enter numbers and scope items. This issue has had me nearly-suicidal for months, as I, like you, have turned off every single damned password, numerical password, picture password, you-name-it-I've-done-it password there.

Just bewildering to me how MS can overlook absolutely inexcusable quirks such as this. The SP3, however, is a fine device, but the good devs at Windows really need to get their acts together. I'm sick of the 'legacy' excuse.

I would like to point out a few things I've noticed after a few minutes of testing: The lock screen is still available if you press Windows Key-L. Which is handy if you wish to still lock your device in situation-specific need.

I've also noticed that the Windows side-button on the SP3 (Surface Pro 3) will sporadically 'wake' the device. Still don't know why that is; I may disable the button entirely if I have too many accidental wakes occur.

Anyway my good man, THANK YOU once again.

Reaction score
Use a local account instead (you may have to verify your Microsoft account password) and then leave the password fields empty.

Reaction score

3. Restart the computer.

Eric

Thank you! This has been bugging me for weeks!!!
I'd rather see the lockscreen tbh, but this is far better than the alternative... hopefully it'll be fixed properly in the future..

Now to get the surface 3 to wake when i open the cover rather than needing to press the power button :)

Reaction score
Thank you! This has been bugging me for weeks!!!
I'd rather see the lockscreen tbh, but this is far better than the alternative... hopefully it'll be fixed properly in the future..

Now to get the surface 3 to wake when i open the cover rather than needing to press the power button :)
Just go to "Screen saver settings" from "Lock screen" settings in accounts and uncheck the " On resume, display logon screen" then all the other settings will work just as previously described. Otherwise the logon screen will require the password and the other settings don't matter. Took me some intense time on my wife's computer to finally ferret it out!
Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Just go to "Screen saver settings" from "Lock screen" settings in accounts and uncheck the " On resume, display logon screen" then all the other settings will work just as previously described. Otherwise the logon screen will require the password and the other settings don't matter. Took me some intense time on my wife's computer to finally ferret it out!
View attachment 2202
I have done all this, and all the foregoing, but no change; still requires login on waking from sleep.

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. Messing around with Win10, trying to store the password so I don't have to enter it upon waking from sleep. Went to: Settings, then Accounts, then Sync Your Account. It will keep requiring a password until you confirm your account. Choose how you want to have a confirmation code sent to you, then enter the code, then No More Password. At least for now. Try it. See if it works for you too. Put it on sleep, then woke it up, no password required. Yaaay!

Reaction score
I was able to follow the guidance in this thread and make my wife's Surface work without requiring a password. After a 2016-08-26 update on my wife's Surface this problem of requiring a password has returned. Everything is set so not password should be required AND there is a picture that presents itself when returning from sleep. If asleep long enough (10-15 minutes) it again requires a password.

Any advice

Reaction score
Any advice

Well, I wish I had a new solution to fix this latest problem, but unfortunately the latest Windows updates broke the registry key workaround that I posted a while back.

According to Microsoft, the lock screen can no longer be disabled with this method unless you are running the Enterprise version of Windows 10.

The best way to get it changed in future updates is to use the Feedback app and upvote those reports that specifically mention this lock screen issue. The more votes they get, the more likely Microsoft is to make those changes as they roll out new builds.

If I find a reliable workaround, I'll be sure to come back and let everyone know.

Eric

Reaction score
An update for everyone... I just received the latest insider build on the fast ring, build 14931, and at least for now my tablet is working the way it was before the anniversary update with the lock screen disabled. If you aren't running the insider builds, you might give that a try.

Of course, each build, things change, so who knows if this issue will return in the future. :)

Eric

Reaction score
I have the Anniversary Upgrade but have never got what are displayed in posts 2 and 20. The choices for me are more limited. I have noticed this when reading other messages on this forum. Any ideas why please. Here is Winver:

Winwer.JPG

Reaction score
I have the Anniversary Upgrade but have never got what are displayed in posts 2 and 20. The choices for me are more limited. I have noticed this when reading other messages on this forum. Any ideas why please. Here is Winver:

View attachment 4018

I'm running the Pro edition of Windows 10, so if you are on the Home edition there may be slight differences in some settings like seen in post #2. Certain options may not be available as well.

In post #20, the solution I posted involves *adding* the registry key if it's not there. It wasn't there on my machine either, but when I created it it fixed the problem for me. Of course, since you are running the Anniversary release build now, I'm guessing that doing that registry hack won't fix it for you, since it broke that functionality for me and others. If you want to use that hack, you will need to get on the insider builds and install the latest fast ring build. 14931 is working for me right now with the registry key addition from post #20.

Eric

Reaction score
I was looking for a fix for my wife's HP laptop (Windows 10 Home) which kept asking for a password when waking. I could see there was no definitive answer here so I kept poking around in the control panel.

This is using a local account.

Under User Accounts > Sign-in Options > Require sign-in. Set that to 'Never'.

Hope that helps?

Reaction score
Like others, I had fixed the requirement to sign-in after sleep BEFORE the anniversary edition raised its ugly head. Not only did the automatic updates take my machine captive for almost an hour when I needed to shut down quickly... but once updated... the annoying password after sleep screens keep appearing again... with bunches of really creepy pictures I don't want to see. I don't even see any options anymore for "advanced settings" like before in the Control Panel. And I can't really take the chance of changing to a new release... as this machine is optimized for my trading apps. What a pain! Thanks, Eric for all your great posts. Signed, "Waiting for another awful update."

Reaction score
On the right side of the Windows menu bar, click the notifications icon, then go down to 'All Settings' at the bottom. Click 'Accounts,' then click 'Sign-in Options' on the left menu. At the top where it says 'Require Sign-in,' change the selection to 'Never.'

Reaction score
Thank you Solomon! I just registered to say thanks. Sick of having to re-enter the pwd every time I suspended (and sometimes forgetting it, since I don't use it to log in), I decided to look up how to disable it. I had already searched for it some weeks ago to no avail, couldn't find what I was looking for.
Today I found myself locked out of my own computer (again) because of this stupid thing, so once I was able to unlock the computer, I googled again for a fix, because it had come to a point where it was either finding a fix or not using "suspend" again, and this time it looked like I was luckier - I came here and tried the registry hack, only to discover a few minutes later that it didn't work because the bloody "anniversary update" had rendered it useless (at this point, I think the only reason they released the anniversary update was to counteract all the hacks that have been published so far to avoid the stupid behavior of win10 in so many things).

Then I kept scrolling until I reached the end of this thread and then I read your instructions, and I've FINALLY managed to remove the stupid lock screen when I suspend!!!!!!!!!

I don't know who was the smartass at Microsoft that decided to make it the default setting that we home users must type our pwd everytime we reboot or suspend. I mean, it might make some sense on a laptop when you're on the move and other people might get to use your machine if you leave it unattended or something, but my desktop computer is not moving from my table!! So the password is locking me out of my own computer everytime. It's like putting a lock on my refrigerator and having to use a key everytime I want to drink a glass of water. Nonsensical, counter-productive and annoying the hell outta people.

Reaction score
Nevermind, bad behavior returns after re-boot.

Original post:

I have found a fix!

I was reading other threads about folks who can't get windows 10 to ask for a password and found out they have their power settings toggled to yes here:

power-jpg.501

So I went and changed my setting to "yes" and now I don't have to enter a password on wake up!

Here's the thread I found this on:
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-password-after-sleep.1165/
I don't have that options in Power Options In WIndows 10 Home.

Ask a Question