Poor Sound Quality Windows 10 64bit

Reaction score
I had the same situation after a recent update. Here's how to fix it:

1.right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner

2. Select "Troubleshoot"

3. Select speakers

4. Then it will run test sounds; afterwards, select "Bad. Reinstall driver"

5. It will then run the test again; afterwards, select "Bad. Install Microsoft HD driver"

That fixed it!

Reaction score
I really hope this helps someone because I spent a lot of frustrating time with this. I have an ASUS Q400A (I honestly do not think it's a model-specific problem) using the Realtek HD Audio Driver. I probably went through 15-20 iterations of uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling different versions of the driver, changing the compatibility mode to Windows 8, etc etc. I played with all EQ settings as suggested, I disabled all other effects, checked my Windows updates; I literally tried everything every single forum post has mentioned.

What fixed my problem? The speaker BALANCE!!! When I changed my balance to 0 and 100 (it did not matter if it was Left 0/Right 100 or Left 100/Right/0), VIOLA!!!! I can't believe how stupid of a "fix" this was. Before spending a lot of time with the drivers, give that a shot first.

View attachment 3868

YES!!!!!!! I had to sign up to let you know this issue was driving me INSANE and THIS is what fixed the issue for me!

Thank you so much!!

Reaction score
I really hope this helps someone because I spent a lot of frustrating time with this. I have an ASUS Q400A (I honestly do not think it's a model-specific problem) using the Realtek HD Audio Driver. I probably went through 15-20 iterations of uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling different versions of the driver, changing the compatibility mode to Windows 8, etc etc. I played with all EQ settings as suggested, I disabled all other effects, checked my Windows updates; I literally tried everything every single forum post has mentioned.

What fixed my problem? The speaker BALANCE!!! When I changed my balance to 0 and 100 (it did not matter if it was Left 0/Right 100 or Left 100/Right/0), VIOLA!!!! I can't believe how stupid of a "fix" this was. Before spending a lot of time with the drivers, give that a shot first.

View attachment 3868

Sorry for rezzing a dead thread but you are my hero i've spent hours trolling the internet trying to figure this out and this actually worked for me. No i dea why but at this point i don't even care my music sounds normal again.

Reaction score
I've had this issue for years as well, Dell all-in-one PC with win10. Wanted to post my process to help someone through this frustrating issue.

Mine ended up being the "Dell Audio" interface was using "Speaker Enhancement"; "enhancement" having a different definition than what we're used to. People have kind of mentioned this, but nothing specific to the interface I am talking about. So, hopefully this helps someone...

upload_2017-6-14_15-37-47.png

Reaction score
Hey guys, i think i fixed the problem. i recently bought an asus with windows 10 and the audio sounded definietly crappy up untill now so i know how frustrating it is but i tried a solution and i think it works for me. hope you can try it and hope it works for you too.

1: go to "Realtek HD Audio Mananger", you can type it on the right side of your screen or go to "control Panel", then "Hardware and sound"

2: go to "speakers", you should have 4 tabs: - 1- "Speaker Configuration", -2- "sound effects", 3- "AudioWizard/or dts / etc.. (basically whatever company that made your speaker, mine's AudioWizard)", and 4- "Default Format"

3- go to the "sound Effects" tab, and tick the "Loudness Equalization" box

4- go down further to the "Equalizer" section on the same tab, you should find a box with an arrow down, just before the "Reset" button, click on the box and select "Powerful"

5- Click "ok" at the end to save the changes

P.S IF YOU ARE USING AUDIO WIZARD LIKE ME THEN GO TO THE "AUDIO WIZARD" Tab and select "MUSIC", I HAVE NOTICED THAT IT IS CERTAINLY HIGHER THAN THE OTHER SETTINGS.

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YOUR PROBLEM GETS SOLVED :)

Reaction score
what fixed for me and my HP laptop was by going to the realtek HD audio properties and then navigating to driver and then using the "roll back" option to downgrade to the previous version. After that it recognized that i was using headphones and the sound quality was good as ever.

Reaction score
I guess in order to change the sound quality from low to high on an HP laptop, I need the Windows 7 Home Premium boot recovery DVD to uninstall Windows 10 and downgrade to Windows 7. Right?

Ask a Question