Poor Sound Quality Windows 10 64bit

Reaction score
Hey people,

New to this forum. So, sorry if this post is in the wrong thread. But i recently installed the upgrade of windows 10 64 bit from windows 7, and although the system on a whole appears to work normally, I have noticed an issue with sound quality. Such that I am not receiving any sub-bass or low frequency sounds from my speakers, giving it a 'tinny' effect, much like a when a song is recorded at <128kbps. This, as any audio lover would imagine is horribly annoying.

In terms of fixing this issue, I have tried a number of solutions. Such as changing the default sample rate of the speakers, changing the permissions of the windows audio service, and updating the realtek drivers. In regards to the windows audio service, I encountered a 1079 error when playing around with the settings, where it ceased to output any sound after that. However I have somehow managed to fix the error, and my sound is back to its old 'tinny' ways..

As much as im enjoying windows 10, im afraid i will have to reinstall windows 7 if this problem continues. Any help or a solution to this problem will be greatly appreciated :)

Much love,
Sam

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue as Sam. For me, it seems that the "system sounds" like the new Win 10 chime, sounds okay, but all other audio from other apps sounds thin and tinny.

Reaction score
I think i may have fixed the problem now, or at least marginally made it sound better. If you go to the realtek HD audio manager, then go to the sound effects tab, then click on the 'change to graphic EQ' button (looks like audio levels), then increase 62, 125, 250 and 500Hz tabs to full/near-full. This should force out some more bass from your speakers. Also if you go to the speakers/headphone properties in playback devices (right click bottom right sound icon), and go to the Enhancements tab and tick 'Disable all sound effects', this might make it a bit better.
Although i heard updates for windows 10 are being currently released, where supposedly they have alot of fixes for sound-related issues.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
I'm getting the same low sound issue too. Let me guess, HP laptops, anyone? I did a straight upgrade instead of a clean install. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Reaction score
I think i may have fixed the problem now, or at least marginally made it sound better. If you go to the realtek HD audio manager, then go to the sound effects tab, then click on the 'change to graphic EQ' button (looks like audio levels), then increase 62, 125, 250 and 500Hz tabs to full/near-full. This should force out some more bass from your speakers. Also if you go to the speakers/headphone properties in playback devices (right click bottom right sound icon), and go to the Enhancements tab and tick 'Disable all sound effects', this might make it a bit better.
Although i heard updates for windows 10 are being currently released, where supposedly they have alot of fixes for sound-related issues.

Hope this helps

Please help.. I'm new to this site, I literally made this account just to ask. But, on my Windows 10, under Enhancements there is no "Disable all sound effects".. And I can't find the "Realtek HD Audio Manager. Every time I search, Cortana just pulls up a web page, then I discover there supposedly isn't one that you can install for Windows 10 yet. Please.

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba, and had the same issue after upgrading from 8.1 to 10; low sound volume/quality. The basic sound worked but the Desk Top Assistant sound features didn't work. I downloaded and reinstalled the IDT Driver from the Toshiba support site and this fixed the problem.

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba, and had the same issue after upgrading from 8.1 to 10; low sound volume/quality. The basic sound worked but the Desk Top Assistant sound features didn't work. I downloaded and reinstalled the IDT Driver from the Toshiba support site and this fixed the problem.

I did the same thing a week ago; I went to the HP website and installed the IDT Driver. Unfortunately, it didn't fix it for me and I reckon the reason was because the driver was last updated JULY 2014. So, its down to the manufacturer to provide a fix/ update.? Then HP needs to pull their finger out their arse and update the driver for HP Pavilion G6 Laptops on Windows 10! I think owners of the newer HP models can get a fix for it right away, and it might work for other makes too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First navigate to and double-click the Realtek HD Audio Manager in the system tray on the bottom right of your screen.
Then click on the sound effects tab.
1.png

Then select the graphic EQ [equalizer]
2.png

Finally lower the 500, 1k, and 2k bars and raise the rest. This is my configuration:
3.png

Reaction score
Hey all. easy fix to get your audio colour back.

control panel/Dolby Advanced Audio/listening experience/uncheck the Dolby Advanced Audio box and tune to your hearts content.

Late

VN

Reaction score
There is a new program that got installed for windows 10 called audiowizard, put all its enhancements off. I almost had a stroke when listening to music after the install but now its fixed :3

Reaction score
I just recently found a fix for an issue with dodgy audio in Windows 10, for me I was running in a VM so it may not fully apply in this case but thought I could help out a bit if nothing else. Basically I found this video
and used to to install the Realtek AC97 drivers and suddenly crystal clear sound.

Hope it helps

Reaction score
Cumulative update for Windows KB 3147458 can be causing the problem

My solutions for metallic / distorted/ bad qualtiy / no sound on Windows10 + Realtek:

I took me over 10hours of searching to find the cause of the problem on my system.
I can only hope it will be a solution and save some time to someone:

1/ Start > search programs and files > type: VIEW INSTALLED UPDATES > Open

2/ View for updates of Microsoft Windows and look for the following: Cumulative update for Windows KB 3147458

3/ Right-click > Uninstall Click: Reboot later.

4/ Next: you do not want to install the update again. Use the MS-tool to avoid the specific update to be installed again.

Go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

5/ Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now. > wushowhide.diacab

6/ Open

7/ Click: Show or hide updates (Note: Now it will look for installed updates on your computer, which MS defines as: "Detecting problems" :) :) )

8/ Hide updates > If you choose 'Hide': Windows will not install a hidden update.

9/ Search for the KB 3147458 and mark it as 'Hide'

10/ Finish the Hide updates and reboot.

Additionally: you may need to uninstall your High definition driver. And do another reboot to automatically re-install the drivers. However for me after the first reboot, all sound was ok.

Hope this is of any help and can avoid a lot of frustration.!!!

Reaction score
I had the same problem after upgrading to windows 10. HP Envy laptop, tried everything (including all the solutions on here) couldn't fix it, was really annoying. Anyway was looking for a better mp4 player (not to fix the sound just for better playback options). I installed an application called Wondershare Player (found it, looked ok). Played a previously tinny, poor quality sounding mp4 video and bang!... sounded awesome. Then went and played some video and music files using the default players again... now they sound like they should. Don't know why and don't really care, just thought I'd post a comment as it was really annoying and this actually fixed it.

Reaction score
I have a Lenovo G50 laptop which came with Windows 10. I didn't used to have audio issues, but now the dings are okay, but everywhere else it crackles and is a bit static-y as if you tuned your radio to a station it has poor connection to. This happens occasionally.

Reaction score
I have a Lenovo G50 laptop which came with Windows 10. I didn't used to have audio issues, but now the dings are okay, but everywhere else it crackles and is a bit static-y as if you tuned your radio to a station it has poor connection to. This happens occasionally.
Did you ever solve this? My computer just started doing the same thing, after about 8 months with no audio problems to speak of.

Reaction score
The way I resolved this problem was I went to the computer manufactures website (in my case, HP) and I downloaded the audio driver for Windows 7 64bit and went through that setup. After the driver installation, the computer restarted and I am using that Windows 7 64bit driver now (that's right, in Windows 10) and to my surprise, it is working. I read on another site that a lot of the Windows 7 drivers should be compatible, but the hardware manufacturer may not guarantee that they will work. All you can do is try. I hope this helps out anyone that is having this problem.

Reaction score
Well i just encountered this problem earlier today. after searching 'realtek' in the windows search bar I came up with DTS Sound Studio (this might be specific for my computer) I then went on to set its settings to default. That seemed to fix the problem for me.

Reaction score
I really hope this helps someone because I spent a lot of frustrating time with this. I have an ASUS Q400A (I honestly do not think it's a model-specific problem) using the Realtek HD Audio Driver. I probably went through 15-20 iterations of uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling different versions of the driver, changing the compatibility mode to Windows 8, etc etc. I played with all EQ settings as suggested, I disabled all other effects, checked my Windows updates; I literally tried everything every single forum post has mentioned.

What fixed my problem? The speaker BALANCE!!! When I changed my balance to 0 and 100 (it did not matter if it was Left 0/Right 100 or Left 100/Right/0), VIOLA!!!! I can't believe how stupid of a "fix" this was. Before spending a lot of time with the drivers, give that a shot first.

upload_2016-9-6_15-54-54.png

Ask a Question