PowerISO flagged as PUA??

Reaction score
For a few days now Windows Defender flags my legally purchased PowerISO as a PUA (potentially unwanted app). This is definitely a false positive. I already have send MS a report via the feedback hub and hope they will act on it. It happens as of now to all Versions of 7.x of poweriso (32 or 64bit). Never had that happen before and I use the program for years now.

Has anyone else experienced such behavior from the WinDefender??

Reaction score
PowerISO is a powerful CD / DVD / BD image file processing tool, which allows you to open, extract, burn, create, edit, compress, encrypt, split and convert ISO files, and mount ISO files with internal virtual drive. It can process almost all CD / DVD / BD image files including ISO and BIN files. PowerISO provides an all-in-one solution. You can do every thing with your ISO files and disc image files.

Reaction score
well, clifford_cooley said it already. I use this program to create ISO's, create images from flash drives, burn DVD,CD etc. I have used a test version for some time but since I use it very frequently, I paid the price for it and never regretted it. It is such a good program that I cannot want to work without it. Its not the first time WD flags a program as PUP,PUA etc. It has done it with RUFUS as well, remember?? Therefore I strongly believe that it is a false positive.
If you work a lot with ISO's, this program is the way to go IMHO....

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly,

I got a similar message about a file from an app called Mini Partition Wizard and another one called "Win32/FusionCore". That said, if you don't know what the app is associated with, then I would block them!. :)

1592633722993.png

After checking on what Win32/fusionCore is, I blocked it!. :)

Capture.PNG

Knowing that it is Malware, surely Windows Defender should not just say it is a PUA but make the user aware that it is or can be, a problem!.

Thanks for starting this thread btw, I would not have given the bad boy a second thought showing that it pays to take the time to think about what you are allowing on your system!. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is how it came up on my system. Since I know what it is, I have allowed it:

2020-06-19_195836.jpg

2020-06-19_195812.jpg

2020-06-19_195856.jpg

This happened to the 64bit version of the program on my other PC as well.

Reaction score
It is detected as malware but its not. The pwrisovm.exe is part of the program PowerISO and manages the virtual drives. I have checked the file and it has a valid certificate issued by the manufacturer. BTW: I have Version 7.6 .

2020-06-20_221106.jpg

Reaction score
Hii Grizzly,

I meant this one: "Win32/FusionCore". Not "pwrisovm.exe". It seems with have our wires crossed?. :)

Reaction score
I know what you meant, however the file 'pwrisovm' was detected as "Win32/Fusioncore" as you can see in the middle picture.

2020-06-19_195812.jpg

I did research this malware but I do not have any of the actions of this malware on my PC's. That is why I think that it is a false positive..

Reaction score
or a few days now Windows Defender flags my legally purchased PowerISO as a PUA .
MS is bad at that, once they feel you are using some 3d party program that they offer similar to
it is basically unwanted to MS.

Reaction score
Does your version of PowerIso installer have "OpenCandy" Adware delivery?
If yes then that may be causing the issue. Try to disable it.

If that is not possible then use Ninite. It is as good as PowerISO.

Reaction score
Does your version of PowerIso installer have "OpenCandy" Adware delivery?
If yes then that may be causing the issue. Try to disable it.

If that is not possible then use Ninite. It is as good as PowerISO.
No it does not. The free version may have that. I have the paid version which does not come with bloatware

Ask a Question