SOLVED Puzzling Quirk -- Every icon on desktop has Green circle & Checkmark in it

JWR

Reaction score
So far as I can tell this does not matter -- but who knows, since no one so far can explain what it is !!
  • Every icon on the desktop has a small circle (green with a white border) and a white checkmark inside the circle.
  • I saw this same phenom a year or more ago and forgot about it but now it is back and obvious [I posted the question back then but cannot find where; probably some other forum]
  • The green circle on each icon is roughly 10% or less of the area size of the icon
  • makes you intuitively think that MAYBE some sort of checking process has certified these icons or the programs that they point to (being shortcuts)
  • Maybe the MS Defender having checked for virus?
  • Maybe Win 10 uses this flag mechanism to tell users _____ What ??
Anyone ever seen this or have any idea what it is?

Reaction score
I've never seen it but would wonder if a program has caused it such as a backup like Acronis or Macrium Reflect [or other] is involved, maybe some other utility.

JWR

Reaction score
I've never seen it but would wonder if a program has caused it such as a backup like Acronis or Macrium Reflect [or other] is involved, maybe some other utility.
Me too. I do not run any backup software (that I know about. Lord knows what runs that I never heard of.) I cannot find any program in my list of programs that I would suspect doing it.

Ask a Question