Qwertius

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm Qwertius

I'm what you might call - an older man.

I'm a bit of a OS agnostic in that I am confortable using a bunch of operating systems.

From Windows to Linux to MacOS etc.

Been around computers since the 1960's and onwards.

I'd like to think I can learn something -- or try something new every day -- or at least every other day.

Life's too short to sit around doing nothing.

That's it.

Q

Reaction score
wow. I go back a few years, but '60's+ Can you give us a backgound of what you were using then?

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I was a kid in high-school.

We used a computer that filled a room and used punch cards.

I'd be lying if I told you I could remember the actual specs of the machine.

But I do remember having a load of fun -

----as well as getting into trouble for making the dot-matrix printer go through about 50 sheets of paper. :)

By the late 80's I was using IBM's at work and a mac at home.

Moved up and through many PC's & Macs - trying to keep up with things.

Now I use mainly stock standard Dell's & HP's running Windows & various Linux flavors.

Occasionally I work with Mac - but not so much these days.

And yourself ?

Reaction score
Not so glorious. I was in senior management at a small airport in the Middle east. Desktop computers ca e along, about 1984, I think, and, in the absence of any volunteers, my employers told me to get on with to and organise desktops for each department-No Internet or forums to fall back on, and only DOS. I survived! Now basikly use Windows, don't like Linux, but just starting to dabble with Apple Ipads and Phones.

Reaction score
Ah the days before internet.

I forgot to add - at the college I went to - they used a new machine with a floppy drive that had the Operating system installed on it.

The floppy disk was the size of a small dinner plate.

Linux ?

Perhaps -- one day you might be interested.

I've mostly unhooked myself from Macs these days -- although I used to like them.

Here's a picture of my FerenOS (Linux) layout. (re the icons locations - I laid them out like that for fun)

Screenshot-from-2019-04-02-00-36-21.png

FerenOS is remarkably similar to Windows.

Q

Reaction score
Mid to late sixties. I was working on Ferranti Argus and DDP 224 for flight simulation and a PDP 8 for telephone switching. Vey late sixties an English Electric 4130.

Reaction score
Amyway, Welcome to the forum, Qwertius. Quite a few “No longer young”, members here.

Reaction score
First computer was in '92, an AMD 80386/40MHz Hewitt Rand with both 3.5" and 5.25" floppies, 4MB RAM 120MB HDD, never did get to work with the 8" floppies.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Qwertius, sounds like you've had a fascinating computer background :).

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the nice warm wlecome.

Dave -- yep -- don't mind being an older guy.

I have loads of fun & loads of head-scratching in the process.

I don't think anyone who is into computers will ever suffer from 'Old Timer's' disease.

Our noggins are too stuffed full with geek

Q

BTW - if you find there is a delay in my replies -- its because I live downunder - in OZ.

Reaction score
Wll, I am getting very close to being put in the Recycle Bin, but I hope they will just leave me unused in the start menu!

Reaction score
LOL -- I have a feeling that there are a few old geezers here.

And most likely --- they might even appreciate Monty Python & Fawlty Towers & the Goons.

---- or at least I am hoping that is the case.

Reaction score
72 is as far back as I go. Everyone here calls me a young'n. I think Admin is the only one younger than I. lol

Reaction score
I went back through my memories.

1968 - or 1969.

1972 -- oh what a good year. ( ---- in more ways than one)

Reaction score
LOL -- I have a feeling that there are a few old geezers here.

And most likely --- they might even appreciate Monty Python & Fawlty Towers & the Goons.

---- or at least I am hoping that is the case.
I was just a young kid and I remember sitting close to the radio listening to the Goons and in the UK, Journey into Space.
Ying Tong Diddle-I-Po

Reaction score
Couple of good series for kids, maybe a little earlier - Dick Barton , Special agent, for example. And I can never forget the radio series of the Count of Monte Crysto - Even my homework was abandoned for that.