Reserved Partition Error - Fix Doesn't Work

Reaction score
Your M.2 drive has a UEFI install. You can tell by the EFI system partition.

If you want to do another install of Win 10, boot the install media to the UEFI and install. The boot files will be put in the other EFI partition and the OS will go on the drive you designate.

Do you ever boot into your other install on the M.2 drive?

"boot the install media to the UEFI and install" - I'm not clear on what that entails.
"Do you ever boot into your other install on the M.2 drive?" Also not clear what that means, other install. Sorry. ;)

Reaction score
Your M.2 drive has a Windows install. Have you ever booted into and run that install?

If you do not know, boot your system and use the Boot Device Menu to see if you have another option other than the Legacy install you were booted into earlier. What F key you use to enter the Boot device menu varies by system. A Dell system uses F12.

If you do not know, if a partition is designated as System, that is were the boot files are. If it is designated as Boot, that is the OS you are using.

Reaction score
Your M.2 drive has a Windows install. Have you ever booted into and run that install?

If you do not know, boot your system and use the Boot Device Menu to see if you have another option other than the Legacy install you were booted into earlier. What F key you use to enter the Boot device menu varies by system. A Dell system uses F12.

If you do not know, if a partition is designated as System, that is were the boot files are. If it is designated as Boot, that is the OS you are using.

Yes, I have booted from the M.2 drive. That's my main drive I've been using. I'm now trying to add a second hard drive that is now bare. Here is the set-up now. Drive 2 is the drive I want to install a second W10 onto. Disk 3 is my M.2 drive, and Disk 4 is the thumb drive with W10 on it. So what is your suggested procedure to get W10 on Disk 2?

disk .jpg

Reaction score
A drive designated as RAW can be recovered, depending on how it was made that way.

If you want to install on the RAW drive, you can do a UEFI install which will put the boot files on the other drive or do a Legacy install if you set the RAW drive as the first priority in the Bios. It will put the active partition there. A legacy install always puts the active partition on the primary drive and the OS where it is told to do so.

How you install depends on how you boot the install media. If you boot the UEFI version then the Legacy install will not work.

Reaction score
A drive designated as RAW can be recovered, depending on how it was made that way.

If you want to install on the RAW drive, you can do a UEFI install which will put the boot files on the other drive or do a Legacy install if you set the RAW drive as the first priority in the Bios. It will put the active partition there. A legacy install always puts the active partition on the primary drive and the OS where it is told to do so.

How you install depends on how you boot the install media. If you boot the UEFI version then the Legacy install will not work.

I think I tried what you said. Got major problems. Could not reboot on either drive, could not repair from USB drive with W10 on it. Not sure how I finally rebooted. Afraid to reboot now.

Not sure if I should unplug my second HD I tried to install W10 on while computert's running. Trying to go to previous build didn't help. Think I may have a system image on an external drive. If I boot from my USB and plug in an external drive with that image, will that re-write my main drive completely and take me back to that system image?

Reaction score
What exactly was it you tried that I said? You had a bootable system, then you do "something" and say you had problems... Be more specific, please.....

I have no way to check your Bios to see how it is configured.. that has to be up to you.

Reaction score
This is a bit over my head, but I tried booting in the UEFI way on my M.2 drive. Failed. Also, I tried to install W10 with the USB drive on my second HD again with the UFEI way (boot priority listed the USB UFEI and not). Not sure if that's what u mean. Nothing worked.

Reaction score
It was suggested you take out all other drives other than the one you wanted to install on. You do not want to do that so now it is really hard to know what went wrong. You may have changed the boot priority in the Bios and changed you primary boot device....

It might be time to take your system to someone more experienced to straighten it out.

Reaction score
Your latest attachment seems to show a normal M.2 drive and a second drive which is not the one you had the System Reserved partition on...

Are you still saying you cannot boot to the Windows Boot Manager on the M.2 drive?

Reaction score
Back in business! Lesson learned. :) It didn't boot, but then the Macrium boot tool seemed to be the fix.

So what is the best way to back up my system that preserves my installed programs? Is a back-up image of my entire HD the only way?

Thanks much.

Reaction score
You have options for making images. The built-in Win 7 utility will create an image of your critical partitions and additional data partitions. Some folks do not like it and Microsoft keeps saying they are going to discontinue it. But it is what I normally use on Clean installs.

If you have an OEM install you may want to use one of the third party imaging software. I have no experience with it but I believe they all require a boot drive so you can get the system back if it fails to boot or a drive just quit working.

In your situation with those drives, you will again have to be careful no matter how you choose to make the image.

Ask a Question