Ryzen 3 2200G & 5 2400G VRAM settings in BIOS

Reaction score
Hi all,

if you own either a Ryzen 3 2200G or Ryzen 5 2400G APU, I just want to inform you that there has been a BIOS (UEFI) upgrade whereby you can change the amount of VRAM (dedicated RAM) to your APU.

The amount of VRAM that can be made available depends on your motherboard manufacturer, on my ASUS A320M-K mobo, the amount is a maximum of 3GB, please bear in mind that whatever you set it to, it will be taken from the total amount of available RAM, on my PC I have a total of 16GB and have set the amount of VRAM to 3GB thus leaving the system with 13GB of available system RAM.

A link showing how to adjust the VRAM in BIOS (UEFI), it is basically the same for all motherboards!:

It is important to know that you should update your BIOS for your board by going to your board manufacturers homepage and search for your mobo model and download and install the latest BIOS software. If you don't know how to update BIOS, check the manual for your mobo, most (if not all) modern motherboards have an internet connection, you just need to follow the instructions for your board. You may have to use an USB stick and again, instructions can be found on the various home pages of your mobo.

As an example, a link to my mobo BIOS software:

DO NOT SWITCH YOUR PC OFF DURING A BIOS UPGRADE OTHERWISE YOUR MOTHERBOARD WILL MOST LIKELY BE FIT FOR THE SCRAPHEAP AFTERWARDS!:

Using my Ryzen 3 2200G, I can play triple-A games (some at 1080P and some at 900P) without much of a problem as the amount of VRAM is now beneficial when playing games.

I recommend a minimum of 16GB of RAM (Dual channel @3000MHz) if you want to play games at reasonable FPS rates, playing Mass Effect Andromeda uses up to 2.8GB VRAM and around 6.8GB of system RAM. I am using 16GB DDR4 2400 at the mo but will upgrade eventually.

Another thing is to make sure you install Radeon Adrenalin software from AMD and take a look at my settings which I find are very stable. I have not overclocked my system!.

adrenalin.JPG

Link to AMD to download Adrenalin:

I hope this is of use to you. :):):)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great to see you again and thanks for the guide @Wolfie. Before the ability to change the VRAM, do you know what the default level was? 3GB seems like a reasonable amount for an integrated GPU.

I'm counting down the weeks till I can jump to Ryzen :D.

Reaction score
Morning Ian,

on my board (and I think others too?) it was a max of 2gb, I cannot speak for other mobo's as I really don't know, what I do know is that various boards have up to 16GB of VRAM as an option in BIOS (UEFI) now!. My board now has a max of 3GB, I assume that higher grade boards from ASUS would have more?.

Take a look at the following vid, it shows as a max of 16GB on an MSI board.

It is a great help in gaming, I can play a lot of games at 1080P but with low FPS, if I drop it down to 900P, the FPS increases somewhat. It isn't meant to replace a gaming GPU but does a pretty good job of it. It's not far short of my GTX 1050 but that is better. :):):)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh that's a really worthwhile increase in VRAM then - may mean the difference between being able to enable some high texture quality modes :).

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I just had another BIOS update for my A320M-K board which has support for the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series CPU's/APU's. It is still stuck at 3GB max for the onboard graphics but that is fine as all the games I play still don't utilize the maximum of 3GB's.

I forgot to mention, after a BIOS update, you will have to set your IGPU settings again (and anything else you may want) in BIOS after a restart!. ;)

Ask a Question