September 21st - A Date That Will Live in Infamy 8(

Reaction score
Thank you, Mr. Windows for providing me with an Anniversary Update... It's a shame it is a piece of shit... Whether or not it's Bill Gate's shit, I don't know!!! I've had nothing, but problems with this d/l... I don't think it has ever successfully completed on its own... I go to bed at night with a black screen and a little wheel turning and I wake up the next day to the very same thing...

I'm beginning to see bright red apples in the future!!! At least Apple corrects it problems promptly!!!

This desktop now has a mind of its own and a trust rating of ZERO!!! Every night when I run a Norton sweep, there are thousands of temporary files and the likes that are cleaned off my hard drive... Speaking of hard drives, at times it sounds like a three year old trying to drive a four speed stick without the clutch... It just churns and churns, I imagine making butter for Mr. Gates!!!

When I went from Windows 7 Home Premium, which I loved, to the initial offering of Windows 10 (you know, the first free d/l), there were similar problems, but they slowly got straightened out... I have Comcast as my internet provider so therefore I have the Norton Security Suite of protection that Comcast provides... Norton has never warmed up to Windows Edge, even after a year... Numerous messages about extensions and other unsafe practices!!! And now this, the **** You in the Ass Anniversary Update!!!

Thanks again, Bill

HELP!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If I had a machine that performed as you say yours does then I would:
Save all my personal files to some thumb drives or an external disk.
Download a clean version of W10 from Microsoft and build a DVD or Thumb drive.
Defrag C: assuming it is not an SSD. Do it twice.
Run Chkdsk /R on C: to clean it up.
Boot my new W10 system. Saving nothing at all. It will activate fine.
Load my apps back WITHOUT Norton
Turn on Defender and get Malwarebytes.
Reload my data.
Use Chrome as my browser.

Bif

Reaction score
Thank you, Mr. Windows for providing me with an Anniversary Update... It's a shame it is a piece of shit... Whether or not it's Bill Gate's shit, I don't know!!! I've had nothing, but problems with this d/l... I don't think it has ever successfully completed on its own... I go to bed at night with a black screen and a little wheel turning and I wake up the next day to the very same thing...

I'm beginning to see bright red apples in the future!!! At least Apple corrects it problems promptly!!!

This desktop now has a mind of its own and a trust rating of ZERO!!! Every night when I run a Norton sweep, there are thousands of temporary files and the likes that are cleaned off my hard drive... Speaking of hard drives, at times it sounds like a three year old trying to drive a four speed stick without the clutch... It just churns and churns, I imagine making butter for Mr. Gates!!!

When I went from Windows 7 Home Premium, which I loved, to the initial offering of Windows 10 (you know, the first free d/l), there were similar problems, but they slowly got straightened out... I have Comcast as my internet provider so therefore I have the Norton Security Suite of protection that Comcast provides... Norton has never warmed up to Windows Edge, even after a year... Numerous messages about extensions and other unsafe practices!!! And now this, the **** You in the Ass Anniversary Update!!!

Thanks again, Bill

HELP!!!
Norton is just this side of malware in not only my opinion but many others as well, and has not only been an issue on your machine but countless others over the years..
This forum has been a wealth of info and help for many and is and still remains the go to for concise and accurate information on everything Windows related. Points of view can be made in various ways least of which includes resorting to profanity and lewd remarks that serve absolutely no purpose and offer absolutely no help to others.
Perhaps send Microsoft your feelings, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to respond.

Reaction score
I use Norton and have been for years and love it. Back in the day it would be attacked and disabled and it was hard to uninstall. But that has been at least 10 years and I'm very happy with it. My company also uses it on it's servers (300) and 3000 desktops. I also use Malwarebytes and they work good together. If your using Microsoft security make sure real time protection is turned on. The difference between real-time and non real-time is during real time the virus software stops an at attack. Non-real time will remove the attack after it's attacked and by running a scan.

Bif

Reaction score
Jake B, I'm speaking from my own experience and many people I've known to have used it..if it works for you that's great! I've worked on many PC's that had been rendered useless when Norton was installed.All I use is Defender and Malware bytes..never had an issue with either.

Reaction score
From personal experience and many hours lost fixing my pc i class the anniversary update & Norton as viruses. ;)

Reaction score
Jake B, I'm speaking from my own experience and many people I've known to have used it..if it works for you that's great! I've worked on many PC's that had been rendered useless when Norton was installed.All I use is Defender and Malware bytes..never had an issue with either.

I had issues back in the 90's but recently it's been fine I use Norton 360. My workplace also uses it we have 3000 computers and have used Symantec for years.

Reaction score
Norton = Bloatware. It is, what they call, "pervasive and ubiquitous." My brother was plagued by Norton, kept buying new HP laptops, which themselves come with bloatware, and when HP and Norton warez start fighting over resources, you might as well beat your head against the wall.

Reaction score
I weigh 170 lbs, so you can't call me bloatware. I've never plagued anyone, and why are you all picking on me. ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
and why are you all picking on me.
Don't blame us.... you picked your forum user name :)

This is devolving into another one of those....
my antivirus can beat up your antivirus threads.

IF you like "Norton" (by Symantec not our Norton)..... by all means, use it, enjoy it and continue buying and supporting the product.

Reaction score
Trouble I agree.
Antivirus software is comparable to cars. Some like Honda :) some like Ford, some like Chevrolet. It all comes down to customer satisfaction and peace of mind.

Reaction score
This thread got hijacked from the unreliable Win 10 & anniversary update to how bad Norton Antivirus is. OP wasn't asking about Norton he was asking about getting the Anniversary update downloaded.

He also mentioned he had been using Windows 7 with absolutely no problem for years. Then things went south the minute Win 10 was downloaded. Telling him to do a complete install of Win 10 might not be in his experience, and could require the services of a paid Tech Support person.

It wasn't in any of our wildest dreams that continuing to use Windows OSs would put us in debt because we have to wipe the slate clean because of all the glitches and would need to start all over fro the beginning. Most of us out here who are using PCs aren't techheads and don't know the first thing about doing a complete install.

Writing down a complete, clean instill in 8 easy-sounding steps doesn't make it easy. Maybe for the techheads it is, but not for the rest of us.

When I downloaded Win 10 last December, there have been problems after problems after problems, and after doing a Restore 3 weeks ago I now have the black screen of death. Microsoft has acknowledged this is their problem from a glitch in the Restore program, but they have absolutely no solution for it.

So, I'm now going to have to pay for someone to work through this problem to get my PC up and running again. And, of course they're not going to pay for the bill I'm going to get from a certified tech person who will be doing my reinstall.

And, I assure you, I won't be using Windows 10 again. Going back to Windows 8.1. This software is going to be supported until 2023, and by that time, I'll be dead, so I don't have to go anywhere near Win 10 ever again.