Silverlight

Reaction score
On one of my computers Silverlight updates have failed 26 times. Silverlight does not appear on my two newer computers so I did some research and found that it is no longer used. Should I remove it from my computer so Microsoft stops trying to install to it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Microsoft announced the end of life of Silverlight 5 in 2012. In 2013, Microsoft announced that they had ceased development of Silverlight except for patches and bugfixes. Silverlight is no longer supported in Chrome on OS X, while support for Silverlight in Chrome on all other operating systems was disabled by default in April 2015 and was removed completely in September 2015. Microsoft has set the support end date for Silverlight 5 to be October 2021. In 2015, Microsoft announced that since support for ActiveX was discontinued with Microsoft Edge, Silverlight will not be supported in that browser.
Looks like it will soon be ending anyway, so I assume that removing it would be a viable option.
I also remember reading something very recently about how Silverlight exploits are on the rise as an attack vector for various malware.

Reaction score
I am still running it in IE. But, it no longer has any significant purpose, as it has been superseded by other built in applications. Personal opinion- Uninstall it. It should be showing in "Programs and features"

Ask a Question