Slowdown

Reaction score
I find Win 10 64 bit much slower than Win 7-64. Why?
My machine is:

3.00 Ghz AMD Athlon II X2 250
12 Gb installed RAM
64 bit x64 based processor

I run Kaspersky Total Security 16.0
I regularly run ccleaner and malkwarebytes.

I have noticed the slowdown in the last few weeks. I originally installed Win 10 in October 2015.
One of the slowest programs is Microsoft Edge.
Firefox 47.0 is faster, but still slower than it was under Win 7.
Office 2007 is ok.

What should I look for?

Reaction score
I would try disabling Kapersky and running Windows Defender for a while and see if it recovers. You probably have to de-install Kapersky to make sure it isn't sucking up disk and cpu in the background. Task manager will show you if it is.

How much free space on your HDD? and has it been defragged recently.

Reaction score
When do you actually notice the slowdown, when using browsers Edge and Firefox?
Try cleaning out your browser(s) cache.
Run Task Manager and see what programs and services are hogging your resources.
I would think you will find Kapersky Total Security 16 is the culprit. If so, you could try temporarily disabling Kapersky real time protection. In Task Manager check the "Start Up" tab and disable any startup programs that are not necessary to run on startup.

Reaction score
Sorry Tim. You replied to the post before me, I took time out for supper before posting LOL

Reaction score
Another reason why, your PC is running rather slowly than it usually does might be because you currently have too many documents, pictures, music, videos, etc on your system.

To find out if that is the reason why, create a "System Repair Disk" by inserting a rewritable CD (CD-RW) and back up all of the documents, pictures, music, videos, as well as files on your desktop PC.

Then, after you've finished creating your "System Repair Disk", take the CD outside of your PC's "CD/DVD" bay.

Next, "defragment" your desktop PC, by using the Windows 10 "Disk Fragmenter", let your PC "defrag" entirely.

After that, type in the search box in the lower left-hand corner of your screen, "This PC."

Click on "This PC", then wait for the window to open up on your screen.

Right-click on "Local Disk C", wait for your cursor to stop showing the "spinning circle."

After you've done all of those things, you should see a "pie graph" that is both pink and blue-colored in another medium-sized window.

The "pink" coloring should represent how much "used disk space" is currently available on your desktop PC.

The "blue" coloring should represent how much "free disk space" is currently available on your desktop PC.

Also, if the "blue" coloring shows that 30 bytes or else are currently available on your desktop PC, I suggest you delete some of the documents, photos, videos, playlists, etc. that you saved onto your desktop PC.

Important: If you ever turn off you desktop PC using the "power" button, located on the top of your CPU make sure that you ONLY "press" it if your desktop PC is malfunctioning.

Important: Also, if after you've turned on your desktop PC and your monitor, you encounter an error message, which reads: ":( Your PC did not restart correctly. We will fix this problem for you.", let your desktop PC do whatever it needs to do and wait until it is 100% finished fixing itself.

Important: If you ever decide to "Reset This PC", make sure that you only select the "Just keep my files" option, because if you select the "Remove everything" option, all of your drives will be erased and you will only be able to restore your desktop PC to its original shape (meaning after you upgraded it to Windows 10) by using the "Windows 10" "System Repair Disk."

**** I learned that the hard way earlier this week.**** ^^^^ (referencing "Reset This PC")

Finally, the "Go back to the previous build" option in the "Advanced Options" menu, following a failed restart will only work on Windows 10-installed/upgraded desktop PCs/notebooks, if you downloaded any of the beta versions of Windows 10 on your desktop PC / notebook before you upgraded to the "Windows 10 Home" free upgrade or the "Windows 10 Pro" free upgrade from a reliable website.

In conclusion, "reliable websites", only includes the official Microsoft website and its subpages, as well as CNET.com's "Download Center."

**** I hope all of these suggestions, ideas and facts make your desktop PC work as fast as did before you upgraded your desktop PC to "Windows 10 Pro"!!!! ****

~~~~ Have a great day/night! ~~~~
~~~~ pinellas2015 ~~~~

Reaction score
Look at the properties of C: in File explorer. If the box "allow files to be indexed and/or the box "compress this drive are ticked then unticking will for sure speed things up.

Reaction score
I find Win 10 64 bit much slower than Win 7-64. Why?
My machine is:

3.00 Ghz AMD Athlon II X2 250
12 Gb installed RAM
64 bit x64 based processor

I run Kaspersky Total Security 16.0
I regularly run ccleaner and malkwarebytes.

I have noticed the slowdown in the last few weeks. I originally installed Win 10 in October 2015.
One of the slowest programs is Microsoft Edge.
Firefox 47.0 is faster, but still slower than it was under Win 7.
Office 2007 is ok.

What should I look for?

I had similar problems which was fixed by jemmying out the old spinner and slotting in a SSD! I also don't use 3rd party antivirus s/w.

Reaction score
Replacing the old disk with an SSD does speed up the machine. No argument on that but.

Some older machines only have the 3Gb/s SATA which means you don't get the full benefit.

If the machine has a drive of 500GB or bigger then a straight replacement may well be above some people's budget and you may have to go through the process of just putting the O/S and apps onto the SSD and leaving your data on a spinner. Can be a pain to do.

Having done this a few times I found that moving my data onto a new internal 7200 rpm spinner worked and could be done when time permitted . Then just cloning the O/S onto the SSD and keeping the old disk as a backup in a cheap USB enclosure.

Reaction score
Replacing the old disk with an SSD does speed up the machine. No argument on that but.

Some older machines only have the 3Gb/s SATA which means you don't get the full benefit.

If the machine has a drive of 500GB or bigger then a straight replacement may well be above some people's budget and you may have to go through the process of just putting the O/S and apps onto the SSD and leaving your data on a spinner. Can be a pain to do.

Having done this a few times I found that moving my data onto a new internal 7200 rpm spinner worked and could be done when time permitted . Then just cloning the O/S onto the SSD and keeping the old disk as a backup in a cheap USB enclosure.
My boot times went from 50 secs (W7) to 80 secs (W10) then back to 30 secs with a new SSD (SATA2 MoBo).

Reaction score
Be patient guys. What's 30 seconds in the day of a life, when your retired LOL Your throwing away good money for a gain of 50 seconds. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Ah, but life is short and you're a long time dead + what else can you do with your money but spend it!

Ask a Question