Trackman Marble Wheel under Windows 10 64 bit?

Reaction score
I am planning to use my old, corded Trackman Marble Wheel on my computer, which runs Windows 10 64 bit. The reason is I find it much more precise than my newer M570, which is, of course, very handy with its tiny USB-receiver. However, I am not sure it is even possible, so I would like to know if somebody knows, if that old tracball can run under Windows 10 64 bit, and if there is any software to support it. Logitech doesn't seem to have any, so unless some of the stuff that seems to be offered by others is safe to use, I don't think my plans are really feasible.
At present, my Trackman Marble Wheel actually does run on my computer, but it moves the cursor around quite slowly: About 7 times slower than my normal cursor speed! And since I haven't managed to find software support for it, I am unable to increase the cursor speed.Hope somone can help.

Reaction score
Judy2801~

Im GUESSING ( there are a couple mice by Logitech that go by the name 'track man marble" ) you have.
417FCRZRJ9L.jpg

As its the most "popular" older trackman/marble that people get. .. If my memory serves me correctly( ive used ALOT of Logitech mice in my time) it SHOULD work with the set point software from Logitech as well as "tweaking" the mouse settings within the software within Windows itself. It takes a bit of "fiddeling" but my suggestion is to try it with the most updated version of Setpoint software .. can't hurt to try :)

Meaning as far as setting the sensitivity and such for the mouse .

I have the m570 and for me it works great ( in windows 10 Oct update currently, but also in previous versions of Windows. ) after I used the Logitech Setpoint Software "in tandem" with the windows mouse to tweak settings to my liking.

Good Luck :)
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
I just plugged in my old Logitech Marble mouse in my Windows 10 pro 64bit and it works flawless. The only setting I had to do was to increase the pointer speed. this can be done in the mouse options of the Control panel. The "settings" option of Windows 10 won't gave you the chance to change the speed. Just open the control panel and click on "MOUSE".

Reaction score
Microsoft Trackball Explorer (and other MS mice of that era) - how to make it work with Windows 10

As you are already aware from a frustrating search session Windows 10 drivers are currently not available (unless you got lucky and landed here first). Anyways I would suggest you to download Windows 8 drivers and install them in compatibility mode. The steps below are what I did and it is working perfectly.

To install the drivers in compatibility mode follow these steps:
a. Right click on setup file.
b. Click on Properties.
c. Click on Compatibility tab.
d. Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for.
e. Select the supported operating system.
f. Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level.
g. OK your way out of those windows and then right click the .exe file and click run as administrator (running installer as administrator may not be necessary, but I did this and it worked so...)
steps d-f can be done for all users (which I would do even if I planned to be the only user) by clicking the "Change settings for all users" button at the bottom of the window and checking those two boxes there.

You will probably get a message saying "this software may not work on this version operating system" or something like that, say Yes/OK to continue.
After the installer runs it will show a little your device is ready window in the bottom right of the screen click that and set up your mouse buttons.

If you miss that window go to the Control Panel click on Mouse and it will bring up the Trackball Explorer in the Mouse Properties window.

Reaction score
If it works without all those hoops above great. Maybe it is one of the few from that time frame that they still support on Windows 10.

Reaction score
If it works without all those hoops above great. Maybe it is one of the few from that time frame that they still support on Windows 10.
I just plugged into my Notebook and it identifies simply as HID-compliant mouse. I didn't have to install any other software, Win10 took about a minute to set it up.

Reaction score
Don't know, no desire to find out. Just answering this question:
jefferyshall said:

Reaction score
But does it allow you to program all the buttons?

Jeffrey~

With Windows 10(or any windows version) you can control BASIC mouse drivers control most of the BASIC functions
Such as :
Primary button ( if you left or right click as a primary)
Scroll wheel distance( the amount of lines the scroll wheel allows you to move up and down the page)
Double click speed

as well as most basic functions ..

If you're looking for specific Button assignments (aside from the basic) .. you DO need the Logitech set point software to do such .

OR depending on what program you are looking for specific button assignments for i.e. a game or a photo shop type of program.. Those options SHOULD be available the program itself in its individual settings(most programs do that this option) .. and whenever you run the specific program .. it SHOULD "over ride'' your basic windows mouse setting as long as the program is the focus of your activity.

Ask a Question