SOLVED Trackman Marble Wheel under Windows 10 64 bit?

Reaction score
I am planning to use my old, corded Trackman Marble Wheel on my computer, which runs Windows 10 64 bit. The reason is I find it much more precise than my newer M570, which is, of course, very handy with its tiny USB-receiver. However, I am not sure it is even possible, so I would like to know if somebody knows, if that old tracball can run under Windows 10 64 bit, and if there is any software to support it. Logitech doesn't seem to have any, so unless some of the stuff that seems to be offered by others is safe to use, I don't think my plans are really feasible.

At present, my Trackman Marble Wheel actually does run on my computer, but it moves the cursor around quite slowly: About 7 times slower than my normal cursor speed! And since I haven't managed to find software support for it, I am unable to increase the cursor speed.

Hope somone can help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the links, Bighorn. However, my Trackman Marble Wheel is corded. I already tried to download and install the SetPoint software, but the old mouse does not seem tio be recognized.

Do you -- or someone else -- think that there is a chance that the original mouseware (9.79.1) supplied with the old trackball might run on my computer.

Reaction score
As I recall the second mouse shown on that page was corded.

It is possible for slightly older drivers being usable but usually you have to keep the 'bitness' the same, i.e. 32-bit/x86 to 32-bit and 64-bit/x64 to 64-bit.

Reaction score
Hi Jeppe,

what driver is showing in mouse properties?, it may be using an older driver?: :):):)

mouse properties.JPG

Reaction score
Bighorn, I think the "bitness" may be the problem here, though this one (Mouseware 9.79.1) is perhaps not just "slightly older". It may not be possible to make it run on my 64 bit computer.

Wolfie, there is (or rather was) a PS/2 driver installed, but it offered no setting possiblities. I am told by the modern SetPoint software (for my M570) that "SetPoint PS/2" should be installed, but I cannot find that on Logtech's site.

Attachments

• Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 784
Reaction score
Hello Jeppe~

That's ODD to say the least that the set point software doesn't recognize that mouse .. it SHOULD .. i have a M570(very nice mouse by the way .. while i DO like the mouse itself im in the market for the MX Ergo that looks slick :) ) .. and on the rare occasion that i use a Logi corded mouse ( i have an diffrernt marble trackball not your specific one)

On the occassion that i happen to switch to that it is detected and the behavior can be modified with the Setpoint ( newest version) software ..

Did you try removing the device and the setpoint software and 'clean installing' while the 'Default' MS drivers are installed ..

OR alternatively if you have a diffrent mouse available .. non Logitech.. try "clean installing" the setpoint software without the Logi mouse plugged in and dont plug it in until the software prompts you to ??

Just some advice from a fellow Logitch user ;) (keyboard.. mouse.. webcam.. and gaming headset ;) )

Reaction score
Hello all

Bighorn, I tried installing the original mouseware (9.79.1), but it could not be installed on my sytem. So I am still interested in finding more up-to-date software. I tried googling for SetPoint PS/2, but there wasn't much mention by well-known firms.

Lonewolfmage, is the computer on which you are using a M570 AND a (USB or PS/2?) corded mouse running 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

Reaction score
Lonewolfmage, is the computer on which you are using a M570 AND a (USB or PS/2?) corded mouse running 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

Jeppe~

My System is 64bit Windows 10 ( not updated to the recent October 2018 update) my M570 is using the Logitech Unifying reciever .. but.. I CAN plug in my older trackball mouse*which is corded) or even ANY Logitech mouse whether corded or not (granted mine are all USB .. BUT i have had the same with Ps/2 mice ) ... if i need to.. and the Setpoint software detects it and I can use the software to modify the mouse behavior.

Reaction score
Hi Jeppe,

have you tried running the driver installer package in "Compatibility Mode" like windows 7?.

Right click the package > Properties and select Compatibility and select what you want. Don't forget to click on "Apply":

compatibility mode.JPG

I hope it helps. :):):)

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs.

i have had the same with Ps/2 mice
Lonewolfmage, have you been running PS/2 mice succesfully on a 64bit Windows 10 computer?

have you tried running the driver installer package in "Compatibility Mode" like windows 7?.
Wolfie, I'll try to give it a shot.:) (It may not be till tomorrow.)

Reaction score
Jeppe~

I PERSONALLY have not ran a PS/2 mouse on MY systems in many years BUT... I have worked on systems that have ran a PS/2 Logitech mouse .. WITH Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit) AND the Set Point software .. on the occasion that the the motherboard has a PS/2 connection..and it has worked ..

Wolfie has a good point there as well about running the program in Compatibility mode .. that could potentially help ...

is this
41Nm1jUxnaL._AC_UL130_.jpg
the mouse you have ?? cause everything I can find in refrence to this mouse says it USB connection for this mouse ..

Reaction score
Thank-you for the info, Lonewolfmage. Think I'll try Wolfie's suggestion soon.
The mouse I'd like to use is a real old one back from the nineties (1990s :)):
upload_2018-10-12_1-1-58.png

Reaction score
Wolfie, I have not used it that much in recent years, but I'm not in the habit of throwing gold away.:)

Reaction score
Hello Jeppe. I have been using the same LogiTech Marble Mouse as you for the past 20 years. I use mine for CAD design work because the mouse is so comfortable to rest your hand on while working and the marble is so easy to operate with my thumb. They are hard to find anymore. Can't understand why they quit making this style. I have not found any other that is as comfortable and as easy to work with. I shop eBay every time I need a new one for a new computer. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

Reaction score
Hello Zeus112358. Thank-you for viewing my thread and replying to it.
My desktop computer has a PS/2 port, so my problem really is I want to share that port between my old Microsoft Natural keyboard and my Trackman Marble Wheel. What made it (to some extent) work for me was a PS/2 to PS/2 keyboard and mouse splitter (StarTech KYC1MF). Problem is, however, the plug going into the PS/2 port on the motherboard is a somewhat loose fit, so the combined weight of the keybord cord and the mouse cord tend to make the connection unstable. If you can find a good solution to that problem, possibly involving a better quality splitter, I think this solution will work. I would be grateful to hear any ideas from you.
Please see my related thread.
The following, too, might interest you:
Since you are a CAD designer, I suppose mouse precision is as essential for you as is comfort in handling: Here is a German user report concerning M570 wireless mouse (Saved it a year or so ago, but, unfortunately, cannot google it anymore. I fully agree with the author):
"M570 ist für Arm und Schulter sehr schonend, – wie andere Trackballs.
Dieser drahtlose Trackball ist deutlich weniger präzise als die früheren, leitungsverbundenen Typen. Die Schalter (besonders derjenige der viel benutzten, linken Maustaste) gehen früher kaputt als die der Vorgängermodelle (z.B. Trackman Marble).
Präzision und Schalter-Qualität müssen verbessert werden, Logitech. Leichte Handhabung allein reicht nicht."

Reaction score
Hi Jeppe,

I found the following link which I hope may prove helpful to you?. :) (I did not read through it btw!). ;)

Reaction score
I am planning to use my old, corded Trackman Marble Wheel on my computer, which runs Windows 10 64 bit. The reason is I find it much more precise than my newer M570, which is, of course, very handy with its tiny USB-receiver. However, I am not sure it is even possible, so I would like to know if somebody knows, if that old tracball can run under Windows 10 64 bit, and if there is any software to support it. Logitech doesn't seem to have any, so unless some of the stuff that seems to be offered by others is safe to use, I don't think my plans are really feasible.

At present, my Trackman Marble Wheel actually does run on my computer, but it moves the cursor around quite slowly: About 7 times slower than my normal cursor speed! And since I haven't managed to find software support for it, I am unable to increase the cursor speed.

Hope somone can help.
I just connected DIRECTLY the TrackMan MARBLE+ wire to the back panel of my new PC which runs W10. Cursor speed is OK like before. However I have a sporadic a problem. Once in a while when waking up my PC the cursor is frozen on the RHS of the monitor. I turn the PC Off and then On again and the problem is gone. Agian try directly connecting the wire directly to the back panel.

Ask a Question