SOLVED Unbelievable sorrow.

Reaction score
I am, and have been criticised , even by my family, as lacking in emotion.,
About a week ago my eight year old cat developed a chronic liver failure. I spent an entire monthly pension on medicine, in an attempt to get her back on her feet.
This animal, only a mongrel cat, was devoted to me, and the affection was fully returned. She wandered around with me, sat with me and even, within her limited capacity, communicated.

Last night she finally passed away. A relief, because she was no longer part of this world.
I am no feeling emotions I have never , at my very old age, felt before. My life feels without focus and empty.
Hopefully the feeing and emotion will pass, but, as I write, it doesn't feel like there is very much left of interest in any future I may have left.
Sorry to bore members, but I had to, in some way, release my emotions.

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, Dave. I know about attachments to animals, soon become companions no matter their origin. As a Kansas farm boy I grew up knowing that such loss is inevitable whether planned as part of the food chain or as pets. As a member of the Board of Directors of our local animal shelter we see such problems with animal loss. We are a no-kill shelter and try to place animals with those who care but still have to keep in mind a "last resort" where there's nothing left. We have seen such loss be replaced by what we offer and be quite successful. If I may, I suggest such a visit.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Dave. We all become very attached to our pets, companions. Our loving cat passed away a couple of years back and I had the same feelings. When we had to have our beloved Lab put down OMG that was difficult, we both had tears in our eyes as the vet put him to sleep. No you haven't bored us, it's good to talk about and release your emotions. We never replaced our pets, I wouldn't want to go through that again.

Reaction score
Well, My wife and I decided it would be our last. We no longer feel, at our respective ages, that we cannot give the love and care a pet needs.
I guess I'll get over it, this is my first (very) lonely day
I am so thankful to you both for your kind condolences - it helps.

Reaction score
Davehc sharing stories of loss will never be perceived as boring. We all have our stories and feel pain with you. Thanks for sharing your story. It lets us know you are human just like the rest of us.

We currently have a cat that was a rescue from McDonald's restaurant. This cat was very much wild from all the activity around the restaurant. Now after a year and a half, it is a cat with the very same descriptions as yours. I still remember one of my previous cats, so it is likely I will not get as emotionally attached as I once did.

My heart goes out to you as you go from day to day. Looking around wondering where your daily companion is at. Just before remembering why she is not there.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss Dave , we had cocker spaniels for many years and lost both due to renal failure a number of years ago, it truly was the hardest thing an animal lover can go through..it does get marginally better as the years go on but it truly never goes away.. only animal lovers can relate to this we've found.
Hang in there and just remember the wonderful life you gave to your furry family member.

Reaction score
I feel your loss as I have lost beloved animals (mostly dogs). I have now a dog fighting lymphatic cancer. This is a terminal disease and I let it live the last days at home.
Animals, whatever they are, are not just animals, they are part of a family and since I do not have kids, these animals are like kids to me at least and a dying animal make your heart drown in sorrow. It simply hurts and it can hurt a long time.

Reaction score
This is a terminal disease and I let it live the last days at home.
Thanks Grizzly. That was the crunch line for me also. I have a small plot of about 5 acres, and she, and her brother, very obviously loved it. I also thought it very important too her that she died at home.

There is an interesting follow up that will interest you all-
The cat's brother is a little wilder, not the connection there, but loving enough. When his sister died, we carefully hid all the evidence from him. He had no way of knowing, either, where she had been buried. When he came in for a snack, he immediately went and sniffed around the spot where she had died.

He went to the spot where she had been buried and sat there all day. When it began to get dark, he climbed a nearby tree and, as far as we know, spent a bit of time up there.
This morning he is gone . That would be normal behaviour for him, but ,Possibl,y his mourning period is over

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I almost lost my cat this year. She did recover, but I was prepared for the worst.

Reaction score
I have , rather unusually, marked the thread as solved. No more comments Please. I am trying to put this behind me now.

Ask a Question