VGA Splitter not operating a 2nd projector

Reaction score
I have a Windows 10 pro deskop which has a main monitor connected via DVI on the built in graphics card. This card also has a VGA output to a VGA splitter, which has a VGA out for a second monitor and also 4 cat5 to VGA outputs. Off these outputs I am running 2 different projectors. My main projector works without a problem, but the 2nd one can't find the source. I've connected this projector directly onto the VGA output from the graphics card and this works fine., I've tried a 3rd projector and this also works ok. I've tried the same setup with a windows 7 laptop and the setup works ok. All cables have been replaced. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi Viper

have you tried swapping the projectors around as well as the different cables?. :):):)

Reaction score
How long are the cables? I've setup a configuration like this with 50' VGA cables, but not VGA over Ethernet. Ethernet has a 328' (100m) limit. If you are driving two cables, there might be more strain on the card which would lower limit.

If you notice in the bottom left of the image. It speaks of signal loss over greater distances. Splitting power down two cables will weaken the initial power levels. And using converter blocks such as VGA to Ethernet, introduces multiple connection points that could also be problematic.

My only thought at the moment would be to see if shorter cables might work. That is assuming you are connected over a good sized distance at the moment. If you can't get the card to drive two projectors short distance. You will never get greater distances to work.

One thing you might can try is a Booster of some sort. Whether it be VGA or Ethernet, it might work for you. This is what the image is talking about in the bottom right.

Or possibly Ethernet over Power. [not to be confused with power over ethernet]

Sewell-Cable-Length-Infographic-LG.jpg

Reaction score
Presumably , you have gone through the Win 10 settings (display - multiple displays -, and, advanced from that point?)

Reaction score
How long are the cables? I've setup a configuration like this with 50' VGA cables, but not VGA over Ethernet. Ethernet has a 328' (100m) limit. If you are driving two cables, there might be more strain on the card which would lower limit.

If you notice in the bottom left of the image. It speaks of signal loss over greater distances. Splitting power down two cables will weaken the initial power levels. And using converter blocks such as VGA to Ethernet, introduces multiple connection points that could also be problematic.

My only thought at the moment would be to see if shorter cables might work. That is assuming you are connected over a good sized distance at the moment. If you can't get the card to drive two projectors short distance. You will never get greater distances to work.

One thing you might can try is a Booster of some sort. Whether it be VGA or Ethernet, it might work for you. This is what the image is talking about in the bottom right.

Or possibly Ethernet over Power. [not to be confused with power over ethernet]

Sewell-Cable-Length-Infographic-LG.jpg
The cables are 20m screened cat5. The setup has worked for about 3 years without a problem. It just suddenly failed. The splitter is also a booster so there shouldn't be any signal loss.

Reaction score
Presumably , you have gone through the Win 10 settings (display - multiple displays -, and, advanced from that point?)
I've tried the window 10 settings and still get the same problem.

The strange thing is I have a 3rd projector and that works fine which makes the fault even more confusing.

Reaction score
I've also tried another VGA splitter which I've used previously , the output from the PC went straight to the VGA input and then it went to the 2nd monitor and the one projector . The faulty didn't work on that either. I'm confused as to what is causing the problem.

Reaction score
OK you are right, that does seem to suggest there is no signal loss

You keep speaking of a third projector working fine. That makes the issue seem likely to be the second projector. But then you also say the second projector works fine in Windows 7 and even Windows 10 without the splitter.

What happens when you connect the second and third projector using the splitter?

I'm starting to suspect the input on the second projector may have developed a problem. And when another device is connected the second projector input load doesn't pull enough current. This will then allow any other device to pull more signal. If the projector input loads are not equal, the signal they sense will not be equal.

Edit:
I hope you don't mind my rambling. This issue has my curiosity up as to what the solution may be.

Reaction score
I've tried my main projector and my spare projector together with the 2nd monitor and these all work fine.
So I have the graphics card going into a dvi monitor and a VGA signal booster/ splitter. Off this splitter there is a 2nd monitor and 2 different make projectors. I've recently acquired a 3rd projector again a different make. I only ever have 2 projectors fitted at any one time as these are fixed to the ceiling, one at the front of the hall and one at the back. Tonight I've connected the projector that isn't working directly to the PC and that works ok.

Ask a Question