Want to change page color

Reaction score
Though I'm new to this forum, I'm not new to Windows or any of the common applications. I recently changed from an old Dell laptop to a new HP desktop, the latter pre-loaded with Win 10 Pro My eyesight is not good and I have trouble seeing even black text on any color except white/off-white

I successfuly changed the windows theme so the destop page is now off-white - as I want it. However, the page color of every MS application (Word, Excel etc) is blue and despite numerous searches and frequent attempts to change it, it remains that way. Yes I have changed the font size and so on but that does not fix my problem.

Google Chrome has the same problem - blue pages again despite changing the settings. I downloaded Opera but the page color is also blue. I read that the issue might be the normal.dot file and I have followed the various bits of Internet advice to edit it, but cannot implement any changes.

Any sensible advice on how th=o fix this will be sincerely appeciated
Alan

Reaction score
Did I say something to offend? OR am I posting in the wrong place ? Surely, someone on this site has experienced this problem and hopefully found a solution>

As noted in the earlier post, maybe the issue is the normal.dot file. I can find it but it opens as a blank MS Word page where one is supposed to change the parameters, then save it. Tried that and it did not work. Not do any of the setting changes anywhere else>

Please help me here>

Reaction score
I'll have a go. First, when you refer to "pages", do you mean the background colour?
I have been playing with the "Personalise"
Selected "background colour." and "Solid"
Then "View Colours"
I pulled the slider over to full right and finished with a pure white desktop background.
Onr of your examples - Word" now looks like this on an open blank page:
I have a feeling this is not what you need?

1644303485555.png

Attachments

• 1644303378927.png
    1644303378927.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
I admire your optimism. Am I actuallty on the right forum to get help on this?

Looking through numerous posts on many differernt forums & websites, it seems I am not the only one having this issue but I cannot find any solution other than the likelyhood of "normal.dot" being the culprit. As mentioned before, I can find that file and open it as a template in MS Word, but nothing I do saves any changes.

Reaction score
I'll have a go. First, when you refer to "pages", do you mean the background colour?
I have been playing with the "Personalise"
Selected "background colour." and "Solid"
Then "View Colours"
I pulled the slider over to full right and finished with a pure white desktop background.
Onr of your examples - Word" now looks like this on an open blank page:
I have a feeling this is not what you need?

View attachment 14010
I'm talking about the actual page colour not the surrounding area. I tried using "personalise" but nothing I did worked. However, with the benefit of your information, I'll try again. And thank you

Reaction score
Just wanted to add, if you are not aware of the facility:

Type Cleartype in the search box. Keep selecting the darkest and best text for you eyesight until the selections finish. Does wonders for the text views.

Reaction score
I really do appreciate your input. However, I assure you I have tried not just your suggestions, but numerous other too. NOTHING changes the actual page colour in Word, Excel or any Google website

Reaction score
I really do appreciate your input. However, I assure you I have tried not just your suggestions, but numerous other too. NOTHING changes the actual page colour in Word, Excel or any Google website
I believe one of the reasons for lack of response, coud be that users are not fully understanding what it is you need.

Would it be possible for you to post a screen shot of, for example, an open "Word" page?

Reaction score
All good advice but once again - nothing worked to change the page colour. Here are screen shots illustrating my problem: You will see that the border colours have been changed but the document colour has not. All remain blue

Attachments

• google page screenshot.png
    google page screenshot.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 32
  • word document screenshot.jpg
    word document screenshot.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Excel file screenshot.jpg
    Excel file screenshot.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
I don't get it.. All the three you have shown, are all whiet background in my computers, No particular playing with the colours?
Try looking at "contrast Themes" and select "None" (if not already)

Reaction score
In that case you have me completely bluffed, but is does seem to confirm that it is a setting on the new machine causing it. On my old Dell laptop, the pages were white, but since I changed to the HP desktop, all pages are blue - as you saw in the screenshots.

As I noted earlier, I saw somewhere that it is the normal.dot template causing this but I just cannot find any way to edit that template. I have followed all the instructions on various MS pages, but nothing works.

Reaction score
I think the dot templates are only associated with word, so modifying that, which can be done within Word, will only change the word background. But, what version of office are you currently using? I am on 2016. .dot became dotm a while ago.
I would be interested in having a look at a couple of the links to which you refer
, where users have had the same problem.. I googled but could not find any. It could give a lead into your problem.

Reaction score
Just did something interesting- did two things namely:

1. Installed "restoro" All kinds of minor hassles with the installation, mainly in getting it to accept that I had upgraded to the paid version, but beyond that it seemed to do very little - the user controls are very poor

2. Changed monitors - another Benq but a 19" not the 21" I had been using.

In theory, the latter should have made no difference but something did - page color is still blue but much paler so I can read the type with little difficulty. See attached screenshot

Shortly, I'll go back to the 21" monitor (that I prefer) and if the paler color persists, it must be Restoro causing the change

Dave - I really do appreciate your ongoing help - we'll fix this yet!

Attachments

• paler blue.jpg
    paler blue.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Been browsing again. Try this. Display - advanced settings - Minitor.

Play around with the different refresh rates

Reaction score
Yes! a lot better but screen now looks somewhat washed out so I'll continue to make adjustments. Also now using the larger monitor

Thanks again

Attachments

• latest screen shot.jpg
    latest screen shot.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 21

Ask a Question