Whats all the fuss

Reaction score
Hi, as stated in my previous article I am a computer dummy.
I have a Dell studio about 7or 8 years old
I downloaded and installed win 10 on my desktop using the download tool as I did not have the logo on my tool bar.
I requested the same settings and just let it happen.
Apart for a little increase in speed there is no difference for me, I still use the old outlook for email same web searches and all my usual programs work just as well as ever. ( except skype which crashes my system)
Am I missing something?
I have not yet installed win 10 on my laptop ( which does have the windows free install logo), I have noticed that for the last five days when I check updates it has not tried to update to win 10 so something has changed?

Reaction score
there isn't any new offering with windows 10 that i didn't already have with windows 7 and windows 8.0 / 8.1 or what i didn't already have with linux.

microsoft is offering us a new OS if we choose to be the testers for the enterprise edition of windows 10. so yeah for doing that i will accept the offer and enjoy using it.

just my opinion.
the poorguy

Reaction score
Hi, as stated in my previous article I am a computer dummy.
I have a Dell studio about 7or 8 years old
I downloaded and installed win 10 on my desktop using the download tool as I did not have the logo on my tool bar.
I requested the same settings and just let it happen.
Apart for a little increase in speed there is no difference for me, I still use the old outlook for email same web searches and all my usual programs work just as well as ever. ( except skype which crashes my system)
Am I missing something?
I have not yet installed win 10 on my laptop ( which does have the windows free install logo), I have noticed that for the last five days when I check updates it has not tried to update to win 10 so something has changed?
If you updated from 7 yea it looks similar as that is what people wanted. Differences are to many to list. The biggest difference is integration with xbox as well as the Store to download games or programs.

Reaction score
You won't get any performance boost on a 7 or 8 year old PC. My older PC's didn't get any better performance. I noticed a pretty good performance boost on my two gaming rigs, and even my 4 year old tablet.

I'd wait on the laptop though until you're positive the manufacture has ALL the updated drivers, or you could end up with a gimped machine (especially if it's older).

Reaction score
You won't get any performance boost on a 7 or 8 year old PC. My older PC's didn't get any better performance. I noticed a pretty good performance boost on my two gaming rigs, and even my 4 year old tablet.

I'd wait on the laptop though until you're positive the manufacture has ALL the updated drivers, or you could end up with a gimped machine (especially if it's older).
Yes and thanks for that I do intend to just sit and wait for the laptop, it is about five years old

Reaction score
through family connections (a son who works for Dell) I was talked into upgrading, a couple or so years ago, to Dells.
I have four Dells in my house, only one is a stationary. All are at least four years old.
Dell, being as honest as most retailers, inform me on there site that none of these have drivers for Windows 10, and nor will they ever.
OK. No prob. They have all been upgraded. Two are, after upgrade, fresh installs. None of the family members use Cortana or Edge.
All of these computers are running 100% on the original drivers, so should I worry.
I have helped nine friends and acquaintances to upgrade, on different models. But, these vary in age, and the youngest is two years old. This particular machine is in line for possible driver updates in the future.
To date, however, I have had no feedback of any problems encountered on any of these models, but all have commented, with cynicism, that they cannot detect, visually, any improved performance.
I have two identical (Vostro) laptops in front of me. Both have the same software and customisation. One is running 8.1, the other Windows 10. Try as hard as I can, I, also, cannot see any difference in performance or any other aspect.

I will, naturally, continue to use Windows 10, as, from my point of view, it is a move with the times. In my lifetime, mostly due to budget restrictions, it is unlikely that I will upgrade my hardware, So I live with, and enjoy, what I have.

Reaction score
through family connections (a son who works for Dell) I was talked into upgrading, a couple or so years ago, to Dells.
I have four Dells in my house, only one is a stationary. All are at least four years old.
Dell, being as honest as most retailers, inform me on there site that none of these have drivers for Windows 10, and nor will they ever.
OK. No prob. They have all been upgraded. Two are, after upgrade, fresh installs. None of the family members use Cortana or Edge.
All of these computers are running 100% on the original drivers, so should I worry.
I have helped nine friends and acquaintances to upgrade, on different models. But, these vary in age, and the youngest is two years old. This particular machine is in line for possible driver updates in the future.
To date, however, I have had no feedback of any problems encountered on any of these models, but all have commented, with cynicism, that they cannot detect, visually, any improved performance.
I have two identical (Vostro) laptops in front of me. Both have the same software and customisation. One is running 8.1, the other Windows 10. Try as hard as I can, I, also, cannot see any difference in performance or any other aspect.

I will, naturally, continue to use Windows 10, as, from my point of view, it is a move with the times. In my lifetime, mostly due to budget restrictions, it is unlikely that I will upgrade my hardware, So I live with, and enjoy, what I have.
Hi thanks I did say I was a comp dummy so perhaps my explanation is a bit lacking I think I mean speed from sleep to operational seemed a little faster. I acknowledge your expertise thanks.

Ask a Question