Whats causing my screen to blink?

Reaction score
I really like 10. I am re-downloading 10 to give it another try (already upgraded during the free period). Currently, I am using windows 7 sp1 & Linux in a dual boot. I first thought it was Intel graphics driver. I remember, when I did a clean install it blinked at the login screen before the Intel driver was installed. My computer blinks at the windows 10 login screen & when I opened up windows 10 start menu. Never, did in Windows 7 sp1. Now it is worse with the anniversary update & blinks worse without opening anything and still blinks at the login screen & when opening up the start menu. My suspicions is windows defender. My other question is Which free virus program I can install that will fully disable windows defender in Windows 10?

Just for the record my Linux system doesn't flash either.

Reaction score
I use Avira antivirus. it's a good all round program and scores well in the antivirus benchmark testing.
Defender disables itself when 3rd party antivirus programs are installed, but I see with the anniversary update it will periodically perform a scan. Antivirus programs is a matter of choice, some swear by defender, I have both Avira antivirus and Malwarebytes, both run well together.

Reaction score
I tried again and it still blinks. I used avast free virus. However, in the feedback hub there is a lot of people with a blinking issue. Blinking screen is one thing I can't stand. I went back to windows 7 sp1 & Linux.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi groze.

Welcome to the forum.

I was wondering if you could let us know what your computer brand is and its model.

I know some laptops for example have a built in error reporting when Display adapters are playing up, and its the error reporting that can cause the symptom you are describing. It would help though, to know what we are dealing with in terms of your actual computer to see if we can work out precisely what is going on.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Win 10 probably installed a generic graphics driver for your computer and that is what's making the screen blink. If you are comfortable in downloading a better driver and installing it that would be my suggestion.

Ask a Question