Automatic Updating Causing Booting Problems ?

Reaction score
Hello,

In my 80's now, and this "stuff" doesn't get any easier.

Have a 2 yr old Dell Desktop. Typical setup, nothing fancy.
It's a:
XPS 8900
1 TB HD

Has always worked fine.

As I wrote, a few days ago an icon appeared on bottom bar that Dell wanted to download some updates.
To the best of what I recall, I did not click on this icon.
Apparently, it started to download by itself.

About half way thru, perhaps 15 minutes into the download (which appeared to be going normally),
the screen turned blank.
Nothing but nothing, I tried would get it going again.

So, I finally gave up and bit the bullet and did the complete Image Reset thing which finally came up.
Wiped out most everything, but I've been good about backups.
Lots of hours spent, but finally got it back to, apparently, working normally.

Last night, absolutely all by itself, it started another download update. Didn't say, but I think from MS.
Screen said will "take a long time," and not to turn off PC.
Again, seemed to be going normally, but after 15 minutes or so, screen totally blank again.
Nothing works; can't get out of blank screen.
Tried the F2, F3, and F8 on re-starts without any luck. Won't go into Safe Mode either.

Question: any idea what's going on ?

If I do another Image reset, I guess the absolute first thing I want to do is to Absolutely prevent any and all downloading by "itself" without asking permission first.

***Is there any way of setting an option, somewhere, that truly prevents all downloads ?

BTW: Took a look at the BIOS settings which came up with F12 when trying another start:
Do I want "Factory Defaults" or the BIOS setting that the other option is (don't remember what it was) ?
It is set to: UEFI Boot: Windows Boot Manager
Sound correct ?

Again, really appreciate any help and suggestions,
Bob

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think you're screwed.

1) Windows 10 does NOT allow full of control of your computer. Downloads are mandatory. You only have limited control of "your" computer.
2) Despite the name of this forum, there isn't any support. You might get random people (like me) that offer opinions, and if you're lucky, might even give you some useful tidbit.
3) Update causes many problems which are totally (?) ignored by microsoft. Since I bought this computer, equipped with Win10, it's been hell. Crashes occur 15 to 20 times a week.
4) I have the same blank screen and/or freeze problem. I left Update at "0% completed, don't turn off." for about 20 hours. (Cntrl-Alt-Del didn't do anything. Nor did the off switch. I unplugged to restart computer.)
5) Internet is (effectively) mandatory, which can be VERY expensive in some locations. Any interruption to your ISP can also corrupt Windows Update.
6) Linux if you are willing. (I've been running it for about 3 weeks 24/7, without ANY interruption.)

Good luck. You'll need it.

Reaction score
For Don Wickson,

I figured out the solution. Really.
No more problems.

I bought an iMac Desktop. (really like it)

Best regards,
Bob

Reaction score
Mac is a good choice, too.

Microsoft (like any company) will only listen to $$. If customers tolerate the problems instead of leaving for alternatives, there won't be any improvement.

Reaction score
do u have installed Avast AV on ur PC nor Advance System Care Pro ver.11 ?
u must turn off services :

1. Right click on start.
2. Click run.
3. Type msconfig
4. Click the "Services" tab.
5. Uncheck the "Advanced System Care 11" service or Avast AV.
6. Click ok.
7. Click "restart your computer".
8. Update KB4103721 as normal. re-enable the service if you want.
9. Done.

Ask a Question