svchost.exe causing computer to freeze and be slow

Reaction score
Hi, I recently started experiencing an issue with my computer freezing and being slow, and I suspect the process "svchost.exe" of causing it. Every single time I start my PC up it runs just fine for about 15 minutes and the CPU usage of the process averages at about 5%, later on it goes up to 12% and my PC starts acting up. It barely allows me to open my web browser or other programs, and I cannot open any games without having them freeze. What could be the possible cause of this, and how could I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Edit: My computer specs are

- Intel i7 6700HQ
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- 16GB of DDR4 RAM
- 1TB HDD and a 128GB SSD

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alexander,

Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of things you can do to help the forum help you with your problem.
  • Open Task Manager then select the Details tab
    • Next right-click on the svchost.exe listed and choose Open file location
    • Please confirm to forum the file location is C:\Windows\System32\Svchost.exe

Note: If it is not opening to this location then the SVCHOST.exe is not part of Windows 10 but rather a third party application; more than likely a Trojan/virus infection which you'll need to remove.
  • Assuming it is the legitimate Windows service application (i.e. its file location is as above), then back in the Details tab again right-click on the svchost.exe but this time select Go to Service(s)
  • You will now see a list of Services some of which will be highlighted. Please let the forum know which Services are highlighted.

Note: The highlighted Services are all dependencies of the svchost.exe you allege has a high cpu usage. One or all of these may require disabling to resolve you issue; meaning you then would need to manually run the Service you disabled to use it; for example the Windows Update Service.

If that is highlighted then another option would be to stop this service, then restart and attempt an update as there may simply be a partial download stalled which needs refreshing and thus would resolve your cpu issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Sometimes, disabling or restarting a Windows service doesn't help to fix the real issue at all. If the issue is caused by some reasons like incompatible apps, or corrupted files then restarting doesn't help.

Like Regedit32 mentioned, you (Alexander L) can use Task Manager to find out which service(s) are standing behind the svchost.exe process that is using a lot of your CPU resource.

After finding out, diagnose why it causes the problem. According to an article here, there were a lot of reasons can cause this high CPU issue.

For example, if it's related to Windows Update, it could be an issue with Windows Update itself. In this case, you can use Windows Update Troubleshooter to deal with it. Or it could be recent updates, so uninstall updates will help.

Anyway, post back the list of Windows service(s) that stay behind the svchost.exe process that you found in Task Manager.

Reaction score
me too faced this problem one time.
very high cpu usage taken by svchost
I searched on google to fix this problem.
i did all steps exactly and finally resolved the issue.
Thank you tim

Last edited:

Ask a Question