svchost.exe Service Host: Local Service (No Network) - Permanent CPU usage

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just can't figure out why is this module using my CPU continuously (10%-15% usage).
I've attached a screenshot and the ETL file for you to analyze this.

You can download the ETL file from here. (Google Drive link)

My PC specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4
  • MB: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (LGA1151)
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • HDD's
  • 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000LPVX-22V0TT0 (SATA)
  • 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA)
  • 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)
  • Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

Attachments

• svchost.JPG
    svchost.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 2,132
  • svchost2.JPG
    svchost2.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 1,793

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi SlyBytes,

Welcome to the Forum.

Could you confirm whether your IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers are using the storahci.sys drivers:
  • Right-click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
  • Right-click on listed device and select Properties
  • Select Driver tab then click Driver details

If you are then a possible solution to this issue would be to disable MSI support:
  • To do this you need to grab the Device instance path information via Device Manager, so after confirming you are using storachi.sys driver, click the Details tab then using drop arrow select Device instance path. Note the result - you'll need it shortly.
Sample image

sample.png

• You can close Device Manager now.
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • When the User Account Control prompts you, click Yes
  • In the address bar of Registry Editor copy & paste the following then press Enter key
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\

Sample image

sample2.png

Now grab the Device instance path details you copied from Device Manager earlier, and expand the key & sub-key matching it.

In my case I'm looking for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_2AB6103C&REV_05\3&11583659&0&FA

Sample image

sample3.png

Now continue expanding to this location:

Device Parameters
— Interrupt Management
MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
Left-click on MessageSignaledInterruptProperties then in right pane locate and right-click on MSISupported and select Modify and change the Data value from 1 to 0

Sample image

sample4.png

Press F5 to refresh Registry

Close Registry Editor

Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager

Scroll to bottom of Task Manager window, then right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart

The screen will temporarily darken/flash.

Done!

Resource Material:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in...h-message-signaled-interrupt-msi-mode-enabled

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi SlyBytes,

Welcome to the Forum.

Could you confirm whether your IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers are using the storahci.sys drivers?
  • Right-click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
  • Right-click on listed device and select Properties
  • Select Driver tab then click Driver details
It is using iaStorA.sys.
kaggssV.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
Take a look at the Registry Key associated for the Device instance path all the same.

It's worth a try and easily reversible if no improvement shows.

Reaction score
Take a look at the Registry Key associated for the Device instance path all the same.

It's worth a try and easily reversible if no improvement shows.
Will this have any effect? I've accesed the link you attached on the first reply and it's about disk usage, not CPU usage.
My issue is causing constantly CPU usage and i'm not really sure if it can be linked to that thread.
As you can see in the screenshots attached, the disk is used only 0.1%.
Thanks for the reply, anyway.

Regedit32

Reaction score
This particular bug will typically display high CPU and low Disk usage.

Occasionally, it goes super crazy and does the opposite and you suddenly see 100% or near to Disk usage.

Up till now so far as I am aware it was a specific .sys file, and yours is a different one, however, it would do no harm to check the registry key associated with your controller's instance path.

If that particular DWORD (32-bit) value MSISupported is present, and currently is set to 1, then changing it to 0 may just resolve your issue. If it makes not difference you can reset it to 1 again.

Other than that, you might want to see whether there is an updated driver for your controller.

Reaction score

Occasionally, it goes super crazy and does the opposite and you suddenly see 100% or near to Disk usage.

Up till now so far as I am aware it was a specific .sys file, and yours is a different one, however, it would do no harm to check the registry key associated with your controller's instance path.

If that particular DWORD (32-bit) value MSISupported is present, and currently is set to 1, then changing it to 0 may just resolve your issue. If it makes not difference you can reset it to 1 again.

Other than that, you might want to see whether there is an updated driver for your controller.
Thanks! I will come with a feedback later.

Reaction score

I've done everything and the issue is still there.
I have also updated drivers to the latest available.
Any thoughts?
osu55E4.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
In that case, you might as well reset that Value to 1.

Given the Service Host is hosting the Windows Firewall, and its associated services, you may want to:
  • Right-click on Start then select Settings > Update & security
  • In the left pane select Troubleshoot
  • In the right pane click on Incoming connections then click the Run the Troubleshooter button

Reaction score
In that case, you might as well reset that Value to 1.

Given the Service Host is hosting the Windows Firewall, and its associated services, you may want to:
  • Right-click on Start then select Settings > Update & security
  • In the left pane select Troubleshoot
  • In the right pane click on Incoming connections then click the Run the Troubleshooter button
The issue is still there. Troubleshooter found nothing.

Ask a Question