Windows 10 shuts down by itself

Reaction score
Ok i am having a simillar problem, only I am on a desktop and my power settings are set to never turn off/max performance. and it shuts off with no warning while I am doing stuff, which really sucks when Im in the middle of a game or a movie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Lillian from northern Michigan.

I used to run Windows 7, 64 bit. Then I took the free upgrade to Windows 10. It took me 3 or 4 attempts to get it to download and install.

Now my computer shuts itself down when it thinks I am away from it. This is a major pain. My husband and I run a law office out of our home, and I cannot babysit the computer all day. I need it to stay on until I turn it off.

Here are my power settings:
Turn off display - 20 hours and 10 minutes
Turn off hard disk - 2340 minutes (39 hours)
Sleep - never
Power button - do nothing

But it ignores me. It still turns off my computer all by itself if I am not there giving it constant keystrokes or mouse clicks. Totally unacceptable. If I can't fix this by the 5th, I am going back to 7.

Then I was counseled to o to the ControlPanel/Power Options On the left side, click ‘Choose what the Power button does’, un-check ‘Turn on fast startup’ and save my changes. But that did not work either - it still shut itself down the minute my back was turned.

It seems I am not the only one with this problem. Can anybody help?
Hello Steven here. I had the same problem, I had a laptop and a desktop and got the free upgrade on both machines. I set my laptop to shut the screen off, and sleep after certain hour. Well what happened was my laptop synced all its settings for my desktop. It was driving me mad and I had a feeling that's was happening. click the circle and type "sync your settings" click or press enter and the "sync your settings" window pops up. and from there you can control what gets synced to what. Also if I didn't explain it well here you can do youtube search for it. I hope this is the fix you need : )

Reaction score
It has been a while since this thread was last posted to but I started having a similar problem last week. After looking around a few forums, I tried changing one of the BIOS settings - it is the Power Off Energy Saving under the Advanced tab - set it to disabled and it (ASUS G750) stopped shutting down when I wasn't using the machine for around 20 minutes.

Reaction score
It has been a while since this thread was last posted to but I started having a similar problem last week. After looking around a few forums, I tried changing one of the BIOS settings - it is the Power Off Energy Saving under the Advanced tab - set it to disabled and it (ASUS G750) stopped shutting down when I wasn't using the machine for around 20 minutes.
Yep that you was your problem. Mine was just two PC connected and sharing the same power settings (In my case)
I thought it was in my BIOS settings and it was the first things I checked after I changed auto re-start on BSOD.

Reaction score
Hi! I'm kind of having the same problem. My laptop turns off randomly, It let's me type in my password, then loads for like.. Forever. It doesn't let me to the main screen or anything. But then after one minute it turns off completely. I was looking online to see if anyone had the same problem, This was the closest I could get. I am 10, I dont know a lot about laptops and those technology stuff. I own a windows 10 laptop, no latest updates or anything.. It happened randomly. Please any help?

Reaction score
Hi! I'm kind of having the same problem. My laptop turns off randomly, It let's me type in my password, then loads for like.. Forever. It doesn't let me to the main screen or anything. But then after one minute it turns off completely. I was looking online to see if anyone had the same problem, This was the closest I could get. I am 10, I dont know a lot about laptops and those technology stuff. I own a windows 10 laptop, no latest updates or anything.. It happened randomly. Please any help?
i figured it out. I had two PC's with win 10 on them. both set with same account and connected with each other. My laptop was set to sleep and whatnot and it set the same thing for my desktop. I had to turn off "sync" for it to stop.

Ask a Question