You Will Now or Tonight

Reaction score
up.PNG

http://www.howtogeek.com/241329/upg...s-aggressively-pushed-windows-10-to-everyone/

If you look close at The MS Logo, you can see another one from about 77 years ago/
WINDOWS BLACK KEY.png

Reaction score
I presume that if one were to do this update right now that one would get Version 1511 build 10586.104.

So before recommending anyone to do this I'd want to see that the volume of 'W10 wont do this or that, or wont load, or BSODs ' questions on this forum dropped to near zero.

Over the years I have loaded NT, W2000, XP, W7 on many machines of dubious provenance and they have all just worked, (yes even on NT 3.51 back in the day) but it appears that W10 is being the big exception. I have never personally loaded W8 or 8.1 so I don't know the success rate of that.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
questions on this forum dropped to near zero
I'm thinking that it will have the exact opposite effect, so buckle up and get ready.
With no consideration as to third party software, or peripherals attached to the system, I suspect that the questions are only going to grow.
I just hope everyone takes a minute to read this
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
IN advance of going forward by any means.
As to which version they may have installed... I suppose that might depend on how long $WINDOWS.~BT has been setting on their system.
Since that will be the source of install.esd then a date for that folder prior to November might suggest 10240 or after would likely be 10586.
I suppose that in either instance they'll ultimately end up with 10586.104 but if ticking the box "Get updates" during the install goes out and updates it could be a long process, which some... due to a lack of any progress indicators might interpret as hung or frozen, which will likely produce its' own list of questions.

Reaction score
I presume that if one were to do this update right now that one would get Version 1511 build 10586.104.

So before recommending anyone to do this I'd want to see that the volume of 'W10 wont do this or that, or wont load, or BSODs ' questions on this forum dropped to near zero.

Over the years I have loaded NT, W2000, XP, W7 on many machines of dubious provenance and they have all just worked, (yes even on NT 3.51 back in the day) but it appears that W10 is being the big exception. I have never personally loaded W8 or 8.1 so I don't know the success rate of that.

It may be worth waiting for Redstone but if it is late then you will have to pay for Windows 10.

Reaction score
Gideon, I already have w10 as my licensed OS and also I am on Insider on the way to Redstone on my other 2 machines. I have run out of W7 machines to try a new update on!

I am wondering what happens to someone who knows nothing about W10 and just does the upgrade. Will they get an early 10240 and have to sit through 4+Gb of updates or will they get 1511 10586. Trouble isn't sure and I have not seen any MS guidance. I would HOPE that regardless of when one first saw the invitation to install W10 that one would get the production version current on the day one accepted that invitation.

Reaction score
Gideon, I already have w10 as my licensed OS and also I am on Insider on the way to Redstone on my other 2 machines. I have run out of W7 machines to try a new update on!

I am wondering what happens to someone who knows nothing about W10 and just does the upgrade. Will they get an early 10240 and have to sit through 4+Gb of updates or will they get 1511 10586. Trouble isn't sure and I have not seen any MS guidance. I would HOPE that regardless of when one first saw the invitation to install W10 that one would get the production version current on the day one accepted that invitation.
It would be nice of MS was straight forward about things so users do not half to second guess them. I was in The TP then dropped out and can't seem to get back in. It says I am in but I never get any builds.

Reaction score
I thought occurs to me. After the free upgrade period ends in June will MS give up this update thing? They should.

If they still do it and expect anyone who does the download to pay up they will be very disappointed and their only recourse would be to post an update that destroys the update...and they would get a class action going in a big way.

Maybe they will say that anyone who was invited to take the free upgrade before June 2016 is still entitled and keep on pushing.

I wonder. If it were me I'd offer a W7 SP2 and a W8.1 SP both of which would incorporate all the good internal stuff of W10.
Or possibly reduce the price of W10 home to $50.

Reaction score
One point.

Any time you upgrade from Win7/8.1 the downloaded install will include current updates slipstreamed into the file/ISO so there will be no long wait afterwards for the missing updates to be downloaded.

A second point (I lied) is that the user always gets to confirm any decision to updrade. Clicking Now or tonight isn't all or nothing.

Ask a Question